FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gybing Technique

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Oatsandbeans View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Oatsandbeans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gybing Technique
    Posted: 23 May 16 at 8:16pm
Gybing, as we all know is one of the trickiest things to master., get it right consistantly, and you are suddenly a heavy weatehr expert, get it wrong, - well we all know what that is like. But it is interesting to talk to good sailors that appear to have it cracked, and they all have their own magic answer to how to do it, subtle swing of the hips, flick of the wrist, whatever they will swear by it,. I have for exmple had some swear by letting the main out an armful going into the gybe, whilst others say keep the main sheeted in ( OK they were both sailing different boats but anyway) Well what do you all think?What is the holy grail when it comes to gybing in 25 knots +? We all want to know -and quickly!
jaydub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jaydub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 16 at 8:47pm
Max speed, keep hold of the gybing strop as the main goes over and a minimal S to stop the boat screwing around.  The windier it is the more dead down wind I try and bring it out the gybe.  Better to survive and take a few seconds heat it up than to go for it gung ho and wipe out.

Works for me, but I wouldn't call myself an expert. Confused
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 16 at 9:04pm
Leave enough board to stand on.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Riv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Riv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 16 at 9:15pm
My gybing got a lot better after I started sailing a board.

Suddenly the Laser wasn't something I sat down on but something that could be thrown around played with. It's a change of perspective which can be useful at times.
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 16 at 9:31pm
Makes sense. Confidence is key, dithering is doom. Some days I'm one and some days I'm t'other.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 16 at 9:34pm
I've turned into a ditherer as I've got older, sadly.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 16 at 9:35pm
In the Solo, a strong hold of the tiller, to ensure that you come out of the gybe pointing downhill, some backward sweep on the plate to give some directional stability, don't be over kickered, gybe at maximum speed ... Don't slow down in the gybe.  Reach for reach gybes may offer a better chance of survival, particularly if you ease the kicker a bit.  Leave plenty of room at the gybe mark so you are not forced into the gybe while trying to negotiate capsized boats.
Happily living in the past
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 16 at 9:44pm
Minisprint gybes like it's on rails, any wind speed.
Enterprise gybes ok.
Aquabat will try to pitchpole in any decent wind, never found a successful method.
None of other boats I have sailed over the years have come close to Minisprint.
I could not give you a method for how I prepare for the gybe though, I just go for it, if their is room I will go past mark and tack (if very windy).
iiiiticki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iiiiticki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 16 at 12:29am
I always think the danger point is as you start to turn into the gybe and are sailing by the lee, a slight wind shift....After the gybe you can let it go all floppy then collect it up later. Provided you have retained the top of your skull that is. We used to love gybing the Tasar, nice short boom whacks across and a good tug on the jib picks up the power.
fleaberto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fleaberto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 16 at 11:54am
Go fast. Grab falls. Close eyes. Feel for water on face.
No water? - excellent, well done!
Lightning368 'All the Gear' (409), Lightning368 'Sprite' (101), Laser (big number) 'Yellow Jack', RS Vareo (432)'The Golden Rays'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>