FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

which boat to get

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
tallsailor6.3 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote tallsailor6.3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: which boat to get
    Posted: 17 May 16 at 3:22pm
Hi there I have just completed the RYA level 2. Now want a boat I have the choice of three boats. Use will be racing and casual sailing. I am 6ft 3" weigh 11 stone. choice of boats is a Streaker, Laser and solo.
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 16 at 3:31pm
The most important thing to remember is you ain't getting married to the boat. You can - at least if you stick to mainstream classes like those - swap classes relatively easily, and no reason why you shouldn't. So don't agonise too much. Grab a yacht in one of each and see how you do and how you feel about it. None of those are obviously bad choices, and no real need to worry too much about which one is most suitable for your height and weight until you're regularly finishing well into the top half of the fleet.
Late starter View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Late starter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 16 at 3:48pm
Jim is spot on. These are 3 great classes, buying and selling will be easy and if you buy right you'll lose very little if and when you sell any of these classes on. I've sailed all 3 of these boats, I like different elements from each so I find it hard to pick a favourite. Depends on budget and how serious you want to get as well. An old but nice Laser can make a competitive club boat for no sort of money (£1k??), think you'd need a fair bit more than that to get a competitive Solo or Streaker. But the newer Solos and Streakers are lovely boats, so you pays your money etc.
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 16 at 3:56pm
I'd go to your chosen sailing club and see what others are sailing from that list.... there;s some good club around Ipswich, so plenty of choice.  

All are good boats, but heed the advice on budget, a 1k Solo isn't going to be competitive, even at club level unless you strike gold and find a very special wooden one... which is unlikely.

Do they still have a Vareo fleet at Alton Water?  That could be a bit of fun.... and if inland or up the deben or orwell somewhere, don't discount a Phantom.  You'd fly and you're tall enough to be 'light and fast' without suffering too much from being overpowered up to a F4.

Edited by turnturtle - 17 May 16 at 3:57pm
The Moo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Moo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 16 at 5:52pm
Supernova whilst not on your list irons out some of the Laser's vices and provides a little more headroom under the boom
rb_stretch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rb_stretch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 16 at 11:25pm
I thought streakers were more lightweights boats. Certainly the streaker sailor at our club sails one because the Solo is too big/powerful (relatively speaking).
NickM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 16 at 12:50am
You can get Solo rigs suited to light weight helms but above 15 knots you will struggle to keep up with the heavy guys whatever your rig. You may find you are more comfortable/competitive in a Streaker or Laser Radial across the wind range.
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 16 at 9:20am
As others have said see what is being sailed at the club you intend to sail at. Budget is also key as £1k will get you a competitive club Laser with the upgraded sail controls but a Solo and Streaker you are looking at more like £3k to £4k for a competitive boat.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
Ardea View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ardea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 16 at 12:16pm
Streakers certainly aren't cheaper than lasers, but I sold a reasonably (formerly) competitive laser and was quids in getting a fairly competitive streaker for less than the new sail and top mast needed to get the laser competitive again.

As for weight carrying, the last nationals only 3 out of the top 10 were less than 70kg (approx. 11 stone)
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 16 at 12:28pm
I have to ask, why would you do that to yourself, big lad like you, knees to your chest, they are boats for old small people with the exception of the Laser, get yourself something else you can stretch your legs in, Blaze springs to mind. I wonder which agenda driven fool insisted they were your three choices, or was it your Grandad?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>