FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Double Hander for Father / Son combo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Doctor D View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Doctor D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Double Hander for Father / Son combo
    Posted: 19 Mar 17 at 11:39am
No problems using this post as it's a very similar question...

In the absence of suitable boats coming up not at the other end of the country which is too far to take a chance on, I had a chat with our Sailing Sec around using a no kite handicap and the answer in principle was that this as something we could look at. On that basis, I've widened my search and am now looking towards L2K/Miracle. Most likely be the L2K as plastic Miracles are pretty rare.

Now I've widened my net, the number of cheaper L2K's on the market has dropped to zero! Maybe someone's trying to tell me something!
sawman View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote sawman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 17 at 10:14pm
Doc, not sure what your budget is, but there is a pretty nice frp miracle on apolloduck, at the cheaper end of the scale there is a composite one on the miracle owners facebook page, I think they are both in kent though
Doctor D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Doctor D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 17 at 10:31pm
FRP one has sold (and yes, looked a nice one).
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 17 at 10:39pm
Round chine boats aren't automatically more unstable than hard chine designs, (an extreme case but the Int Moth is a chine design) it more to do with the form stability. Single chine hulls have more initial stability but it decreases as the chine sinks. Round chined boats do it progressively. The Firefly is not known for it's instability and modern skiffy designs have supplanted the round chine for planing efficiency reasons not stability.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
ColH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ColH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 17 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

Round chine boats aren't automatically more unstable than hard chine designs, (an extreme case but the Int Moth is a chine design) it more to do with the form stability. Single chine hulls have more initial stability but it decreases as the chine sinks. Round chined boats do it progressively.

The Glenans Sailing Manuals demonstrate those words well in pictures.
(Anyone remember it?? Mine is circa 1985   Confused.  Nothing modern in there, admittedly but the basic physics of boats/sailing are always going to apply)

Ripped50s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ripped50s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 17 at 10:56pm
Just wondering if the OP has bought anything yet and if so where he got to?
I'm just about to return to sailing and introduce our two primary school age kids to the sport and we're going to be sailing in tidal waters so got a very similar dilemma.  

I've been looking for the boats I remember being prevalent when I started out (Miracle, GP14 etc.) but started to broaden the net and find myself looking at Larks, which I raced a lot and used to be comfy single-handing these in modest breezes and Scorpions but my instincts are telling me the latter might need a bit a more muscle than is comfortable with the mini 50s aboard. I'm trying balance that with being able to take Mrs 50s.  

Suddenly a small yacht is looking good! 

What am I missing?

Edited by Ripped50s - 03 Jul 17 at 11:10pm
Doctor D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Doctor D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 17 at 11:19pm
Still looking! Had a little break from single handed sailing and have just sold my D-Zero. Now looking for a Laser 2000. Typically, now I've got my act together, there seems to be a lack of them on the market!
Ardea View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ardea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 17 at 9:20am
The RS200 (as mentioned earlier in the thread) does very similar things to a 2000 and I think is similar money, it will certainly increase the number of potential boats for sale out there.

However with the RS200 over the laser 2000 in my opinion you trade off some stationary stability and load carrying capacity for a bit more speed.
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 17 at 10:07am
I would say (though I haven't sailed the RS200) that the 200 is a much racier proposition than the 2000. The 2000 has a little more sail but is longer and nearly twice the weight all up (200kg to the 200's 114kg). I do know of a couple of guys who sail 2ks solo but they're a bit of a lump to handle onshore. The 200 OTOH is probably about the same as a down-to-weight Enterprise when you're hauling it up the slip. A nicer proposition but still a fair bit of boat for one guy to manage if the slipway is at all steep. Quite fancy a 200 myself though I'm probably on the heavy side, my typical crews are 80kg+ and I'm 78kg.....
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 17 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Ardea

The RS200 (as mentioned earlier in the thread) does very similar things to a 2000

Oh gosh no, I disagree entirely. The RS200 is a pure racing craft for two fairly lightweight sailors, ideally both reasonably experienced and competent.. In many ways it could be considered a National 12 equivalent. The 2000 is a bigger and heavier general purpose boat that will carry more weight and more people, and be much more tolerant of beginners, but isn't nearly so lively a craft as the 200.

Edited by JimC - 04 Jul 17 at 3:05pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>