FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is your boat part of the Zombie apocalypse?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 16 at 5:43pm
Those 4 boats all take hundreds of hours of sailing to get to grips with.

Many others on the list are easy to sail, meaning that the game itself becomes the object. Take the Firefly. Small and simple, it has been the team racing boat of choice since the 50s. It is the equivalent of the ball in football or the stick in hockey. A few changes in construction over the years, but still what you use to pay the game. Why replace the football with a space hopper, or the hockey stick with a walking stick? The fun is in the game.
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Leader, Topper 44496, yellow Minisail
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 16 at 6:45pm
Rupert, that is the best analogy I've seen in the argument against iGRF.

Both of my current boats are on the list and I'd say it's because they are two of the nicest dinghies to sail that I have ever experienced.
Graduate 2928
OK 2071
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 16 at 8:02pm
Well, they are not the only four boats left in the world are they?

There are still dozens of others. Isn't the Lark an acceptable team race boat?

There are other boats not mentioned that should also be totally destroyed.. Optimist wtf is that all about? making kids sail in a box? No wonder all the parents become psychos.

What would be wrong with using something like a Lightning or Splash?

Edited by iGRF - 08 Apr 16 at 8:02pm
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 16 at 9:43pm
I as well have been ignorant to allure of the Optimist and others, in recent years though after seeing some skilled young sailors in them my eyes and mind have opened somewhat.

An anecdote with no names as I don't think it is the done thing to undermine or try to influence. We have some new boats of Optimist size and style which a couple of our experienced juniors recently tried out. Fully expecting a ringing endorsement of the latest thing following what appeared to be an excellent session I was surprised to hear "perfectly nice enough but I prefer the Optimist" from both.

It is all very well to have a poor opinion of something but unless based on true experience (and not a failed foray) an opinion is all it is. It is the easiest, laziest and most common reaction to mock that we don't understand. Sometimes the more we understand something the more merit we can see against a true assessment of the flaws.

iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 16 at 10:19pm
People will always prefer their comfort zone, if some poor unfortunate has been abused by an optimist for long enough there will inevitably be an element of stockholm syndrome.

The key is a better choice at the outset, which unfortunately at the moment there is none.
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 16 at 10:25pm
BTW. Both proficient T15 sailors, free and open minded souls.................... 
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 16 at 10:28pm
But if the other 'option' is that bloody heavy Bic Open, you could perfectly understand the Oppy being preferred.

But then again if say a scaled down D0 or Aero, were presented, what then would be the result?
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 16 at 10:52pm
The result? Lots of kids put off sailing for life. Learner boats need to be easy. Even the Tera is too big for the tiny ones. Oppie is great for a 7 year old to go round in circles in without it tipping over. We tend to move on to Teras once they have Stage 1, as we aren't following any Oppie squad type stuff. The Tera is about as close as I'd want to be to an Aero at that stage. Not so breakable.
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Leader, Topper 44496, yellow Minisail
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 16 at 9:28am
So when do kids naturally move into Toppers?
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 16 at 10:52am
I know a couple of adults still sailing Toppers, one of them is about 5 feet 10 inches and 13 stone, he likes the simple no fuss side of it, (as an aside did you know Topper was part of Minisail history).
I started sailing in a GP (Zombie), then a Topper Omega ( I loved this boat) (RYA level 1), a Laser, a Pico, a Topper, (this was to level 2 RYA).
You would probably think this a "negative" thing, but first boat I owned, "Aquabat", this lead me to Minisail class association, then to CVRDA, the best 2 moves I have made.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>