FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

More trailer / towing stuff....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fleaberto View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote fleaberto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More trailer / towing stuff....
    Posted: 18 Mar 16 at 5:00pm
Tyre pressures.
I have 3 trailers. Two standard combis on 8" wheels and a double stacker on 10"
One set of the 8" tyres says 'Max 90psi' , one set says 'Max 65psi' with the 10s saying 60psi.
Now I'm a bit too scared to pump them up to that.....surely they'd either pop or float away :-)
Just got me thinking whilst following a 'what tyre pressure?' convo on a faffbook page.
Lightning368 'All the Gear' (409), Lightning368 'Sprite' (101), Laser (big number) 'Yellow Jack', RS Vareo (432)'The Golden Rays'
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 16 at 5:11pm
Well maximum is maximum safe limit, not recommended operating pressure...
Steve411 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve411 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 16 at 5:16pm
I just put 35psi on my normal combi tyres. I think the max was 60. No science involved - just looked about right. They looked a bit soft with 20psi which was what is was before I pumped them up.
Steve B
RS300 411

RS300 page
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 16 at 7:08pm
I also use 35 psi, any harder and trailer bounces all over the place.
I have a dedicated Fireball trailer, a small luggage trailer, all om 8" tyres and a double stacker on 10".
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 16 at 8:04pm
I use about 20. The suspension units on trailers are generally too hard for a boat, and a soft tyre allows for some give. Never had trouble with this in tens of thousands of miles towing over the years. Have been overtaken by the wheel, but that was for a different reason - student SC trailers.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 16 at 8:02am
Pretty much as everyone above says.
One thing to remember, as pressure mostly dictates the amount of flex in the carcass it can quite closely relate to heat generated. Go too low and heat build up can be a factor in tyres failing especially on long trips when running at high speed. I imagine that crossply tyres are more prone to this as they generally have stiffer sidewalls which would generate more heat through the internal friction of flexing than radials.

Obviously for our trailers we use traditional high section tyres, not the low profiles you see on lots of cars now sometimes on commercial car transporters and such like. 
Paramedic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Paramedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 16 at 8:06am
to add to that finding good quality tyres is a challenge especially in the smaller 8 inch diameter. Even some 10 inch tyres (145 B 10) are only rated to 50mph.
 Post Reply Post Reply