FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Historic Yacht

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MirandaPender View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote MirandaPender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Historic Yacht
    Posted: 21 Feb 16 at 5:43pm
Hello,
I'm new to this forum and to be perfectly honest know next to nothing about sailing! I have joined very specifically to see if anyone can tell me anything at all about the yacht 'Suzette' in this photo. The date would have been about 1920, and the location probably the Suffolk or Essex coast. 'Suzette' belonged to an ancestor of mine, and I am keen to find out any descriptive or technical details that might apply to this boat. I realise it's probably difficult from just a fragmentary view, but anything anyone might guess about its class, type, length, materials, whatever - would be most appreciated.

Edited by MirandaPender - 21 Feb 16 at 5:43pm
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 16 at 7:58pm
Probably not the best forum, although I'm not sure what is.

At a very ill informed guess she's a gaff Yawl, maybe in the 30 or 40ft length region - the spars look a bit small for something bigger. There may be some sort of archive of UK ship registry that might help, I have half a memory something of the sort exists.

Post Options Post Options   Quote MirandaPender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 16 at 8:17pm
Thank you for those observations, JimC - any little clue is helpful! I'll have a look to see if I can find an archive of the sort you mention.
Van Mentz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Van Mentz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 16 at 9:38pm
Lloyds Register of Shipping. A yacht of that size at that time would most likely have been registered with Lloyds but it has always been voluntary to do so. The register will give such information as her builder, date, dimensions, displacement and owners. Judging by her beam I would hazard she was a good 50' in length plus bowsprit but I agree with Jim C her spars look rather light for that. Gaff rigged and a ketch or yawl.

Post Options Post Options   Quote MirandaPender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 16 at 8:04am
Thank you, Van Mentz -,that is most helpful!
didlydon View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote didlydon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 16 at 10:58am
Very interesting! 

It would be really worth sending this to Gavin at www.intheboatshed.net as he is based in the South East & his website features lots of historical stuff like this. Very best of luck to you.  
Vareo 365

Post Options Post Options   Quote MirandaPender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 16 at 11:10am
I will do, didlydon - thank you!
The reason I am interested is that I'm a singer-songwriter, currently writing a series of songs based around tales from my family history (and believe me, there have been some bizarre incidents!)
The story attached to 'Suzette' is that my 2x great-uncle apparently named her after one of his mistresses - that's his 2nd wife in the photo, not the mistress  Embarrassed and I thought it had the makings of a song.....
I would like to find out all I can about the yacht so I can weave some details into the lyrics.
didlydon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote didlydon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 16 at 11:45am
Wow! Great tale Miranda! Yes, family history can uncover some wonderful stories.... Definitely send this pic & all the info to Gavin & he'll post it up I'm sure. Good luck!
Vareo 365

Post Options Post Options   Quote MirandaPender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 16 at 12:03pm
Thumbs Up
MartinG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MartinG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 16 at 12:10pm
Could this be the one?

http://easternyachts.com/souzette/history.pdf

good luck
    Martin
49er 865
K6 159
RS800 1133 (sold)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>