FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ISAF Youth Worlds

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ISAF Youth Worlds
    Posted: 30 Dec 15 at 12:15pm
Well, Living as we do in a country that conducts academic boycotts of Israeli scholars, maybe we should be wary about casting stones.
Jon Meadowcroft View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jon Meadowcroft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 15 at 12:29pm
The article about the controversy is very good.

Why are Y&Y publishing the ISAF media releases of this event given the concerns noted? If you feel that you should publish, why don't you use some editorial control and directly reference the controversy?
Mark Jardine View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mark Jardine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 15 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Jon Meadowcroft

The article about the controversy is very good.

Why are Y&Y publishing the ISAF media releases of this event given the concerns noted? If you feel that you should publish, why don't you use some editorial control and directly reference the controversy?

We are running the daily reports as I believe it's unfair to tarnish the other competitors and those who want to follow the event with the organisers decision. We have run the article about the controversy and it can always be found in related articles.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 15 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by JimC

Well, Living as we do in a country that conducts academic boycotts of Israeli scholars, maybe we should be wary about casting stones.

Or putting pressure on those institutions, too.

It will be interesting to see whether Israel have an open policy in 2017 about entries.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
sargesail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 15 at 9:28pm
I'd like to see all the podium sailors draped in an Israeli flag!
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 15 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by JimC

No, we should be challenging them as well, who does this? Evidence?
blueboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote blueboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 15 at 7:33am
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_boycotts_of_Israel#United_Kingdom
SUGmeister View Drop Down
Sailwave Moderators
Sailwave Moderators

Post Options Post Options   Quote SUGmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 15 at 11:28am
I may not be a very good sailor but I am a very good coms expert! Maybe I missed it but this story is no longer in the news listings on the home page??

Any how using Twitter in a few minutes I have had the Sail World article retweeted to in excess of 100000 people.

It obviously will not have any effect on the situation, but it makes me feel better!
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 15 at 1:18pm
I mailed it to that Melanie Phillips, she's a pro israeli journo bound to use it to embarrass someone or other.
Chris 249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris 249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 16 at 12:21pm
If countries that banned sailors of certain nationalities were not permitted to hold world titles, the UK, Greece, Canada, Australia and New Zealand (among others) would not have been allowed to host any world titles from 1977 to 1991.  Nor in fact could Malaysia have been allowed to hold a worlds through that period.  

The Malaysian attitude to Israel is revolting (they also aim institutionalised racism at Malaysian-born people of Chinese descent) but since the entire Commonwealth practised the same sort of exclusion for years (with much better cause I'd say) then we seem like hypocrites when we tell our kids to withdraw.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>