FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What boat to buy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
MSaxp View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote MSaxp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 15 at 12:25pm
Thank you all for the helpful advice. Part of me thinks I should buy a better boat and another part thinks I should get something cheap to learn and then replace it.

I am still between the Solo and the Vareo so I think I will keep an eye out for what appears in my club or the local area. Location and delivery will also be an issue as I don't fancy adding the cost of a tow bar on day 1. From what I've seen they seem to cost 400+ which I didn't expect
The Moo View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Moo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 15 at 2:03pm
A person keen to sell might deliver the boat if expenses are paid.
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 15 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by The Moo

A person keen to sell might deliver the boat if expenses are paid.

and never underestimate the power of some cash in hand.... there's often a pensioner or student more than capable of picking a boat up for fuel + beer money in most clubs if you ask around.
Peaky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 15 at 2:51pm
The Laser would fit the bill perfectly - there is a reason there are 200000 of them. If you really don't like it you can sell up easily. And they go on the roof so no need for a trailer and tow bar.

A 2000 Laser will win club races. A 2000 Solo probably won't. A 4000 Laser will win the Olympics.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 15 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Peaky

A 4000 Laser will win the Olympics.

Bet you it won't.
Peaky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 15 at 3:01pm
There only that new, aren't they?
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 15 at 3:04pm
I think a 0 Laser will win the Olympics.... it's an equipment supplied event.  You might need one or two to get you through qualification though  ;-)

transient View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote transient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 15 at 3:20pm
As Jim says, get a single hander and use a club boat for the 2 handed stuff.

failing that: a Laser Radial would suit you for single handing. Get a full rig for extra grunt when double handing. They are quite comfortable with 2 lightish adults.....massive compromise 2 handing a single hander though and nothing for the crew to do apart from help balance.

Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 15 at 4:51pm
And the mainsheet if you feel like it?
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Leader, Topper 44496, yellow Minisail
MSaxp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MSaxp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 15 at 10:01am
Thank you all for the advice, much appreciated. I will keep on looking. I am wondering if now is a good or bad time to be looking for a boat. I reckon demand might be down, but also people have to renew their berths, which might be a good incentive. However, I don't see that many boats coming on in Apolloduck.

Another thing I am wondering about is trailers. Advertisements mention road trailers and combi trailers. Is there a difference?

also assume I buy a towbar. I guess I will need electrics as well for lights. Do these trailers have lights or do I buy them separately? And will I need a number plate?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>