FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bad Back issues & Bowen Treatment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bad Back issues & Bowen Treatment
    Posted: 27 Oct 15 at 8:02pm
Not sure where to stick this, but as i mentioned elsewhere for the first time in my life I've been having back problems, it's probably a culmination of age, a big house move, a big office move, more enthusiastic hiking in closer racing and humping the bloody things up shingle as usual, although it doesn't pain me to much sailing, it has of late seized in awkward positions so i've taken myself off to the source of relief that proved so effective with the frozen shoulder last winter.

I was tipped off about Bowen therapy by an windsurfer of my forum acquaintence and although sceptical at first the thought of being rammed with steroids, the conventional medical solution to frozen shoulders filled me with horror, I never ever take any form of drug unless it's very late I'm p1ssed and someone passes it to me.
So this therapy is very low impact, so low impact you wonder how the hell it can do anything, but I went yesterday and woke up this morning all pain gone, so if you're looking for a painless alternative, I can say it's worth a go, it works by correcting posture amongst other things.

Worth a read there could be one near you

Don't say I never tell you anything useful.

Edited by iGRF - 27 Oct 15 at 8:25pm
Oli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 15 at 4:36pm
Ive been having Bowen for a few years now for my knee, its basically allowed me to walk.  just dont stop,  prevention is better than cure and when ive gone too long without a treatment im in agony until its sorted.

transient View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote transient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 15 at 11:20am
.........launching trolleys, aaaargh.

I've done my share of hard manual labour over the years but it was pulling boats around on shingle beaches that b*ggered my back up.

If boat bit manufacturers want to improve their products then they need to give trolley design a little more attention. 

Walking seems to help. I shall follow your link and read with interest.

Edited by transient - 29 Oct 15 at 11:20am
dohertpk View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote dohertpk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 15 at 12:05am
There is next to no scientific evidence that Bowen has any therapeutic value. The trials that have been conducted have had small sample sizes, and they have not been methodologically rigorous. Any benefit you feel is likely to be a placebo effect. If this is costing you money, I would seriously advise against pursuing this line of treatment. Otherwise, you risk being exploited by people with no medical training, practicing a 'therapy' with next to no science backing it up. See this link for further info on the lack of evidence behind Bowen (the paucity of Cochrane and Pubmed references is particularly damning):

https://apgaylard.wordpress.com/2011/06/19/bowen-therapy-all-fingers-and-thumbs/

You might also want to consult Quackwatch at 

www.quackwatch.org

The latter is a good source if you're trying to figure out if the claims made by 'alternative' or 'complementary' therapies are justified by rigorous science. Personally, I wouldn't allow some fly-by-night to defraud me of my hard-earned cash, and I certainly wouldn't let some charlatan masquerading as a healer near by body.
dohertpk View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote dohertpk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 15 at 12:07am
And best of luck with the recovery. Nothing worse than being kept off the water by pain. Is there nothing a physio could help with? I've been attending a sports physio for back and knee injuries (too much weight lifting, too little stretching), and I've found it immensely useful. 
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 15 at 8:44am
Not been near the NHS lately then dohertpk, I wouldn't go near it if you paid me money, their answer last time? Pump me full of steroids, Bowen fixed it in three weeks, not a single drug it's been cool ever since.

Sports Physios?

I know a few. Mostly kids at our club, products of Blairs University for everyman, I wouldn't go near them with a barge pole.

The only thing that gets me near the modern medical world is being un conscious in an ambulance and then I break out as soon as I can get out of the neck brace and undo the restraints.

Bowen works for me, it worked for a couple of other windsurfers I know and like acupuncture unless you try it you'll never know. (I"m not so convinced acupuncture is anything other than temporary relief by the way).

Edited by iGRF - 30 Oct 15 at 8:58am
BVS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote BVS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 15 at 12:41pm
Easy to knock something like Bowen but it fixed my persistent Golfer's elbow which multiple visits to a Physio failed to do. Placebo? I don't think so - I was expecting Physio to work and I was highly doubtful about Bowen.

As for medical studies, I've started ignoring those - is red wine good or bad for you this week?

Oinks View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 15 at 6:11pm
3rd visit to the osteopath today in 3 weeks. Put my neck, shoulder, and elbow out trying to lift a 400 mast into the boat by myself. Gave up the pills after a couple of weeks: the diazepam was interesting! Osteo now suspecting a prolapsed disc in my neck as being the source of the problem and a scan being arranged. So a few more weeks of extreme discomfort yet. Alcohol I'm afraid is the only way! So just off to Sainsburys....
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 15 at 6:57pm
I suffered a prolapsed disc at C5-6 a few years ago. A sports physio unlocked my shoulder over a 10wk period, and I had recurring problems for about 18months. Top spinal surgeon in the land (John Hutchinson) advised me just to try and carry on leading as normal a life as possible. He is sailor himself and knew I sailed but said unless symptoms get really bad ie. loss of bladder control, then just keep going.

Interestingly most studies suggest if you can put up with it, then your body will generally sort itself out after a few years. Unfortunately its likely to be the athritis in my spine that will end up causing me problems.
OK 2129
RS200 411
transient View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote transient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 15 at 10:42pm
Many but not all joint or back problems can be alleviated by:

Losing weight.

Developing the muscles around the injury.

....Oh, if a placebo works then use it. I know we all like to think we're above such things but psychological effects influence us all.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>