FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Unsafe sailing venue?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unsafe sailing venue?
    Posted: 30 Jul 15 at 5:21pm
"Not one water venue [is] safe for swimming or boating, according to global water experts.”

Umm... this will be interesting 
MerlinMags View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote MerlinMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 15 at 4:19pm

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 15 at 4:54pm
That article, official or not, just reads like PR, which it is. Given that ISAF is crapping it's self about having sailing chucked out of the games. I doubt we will see a forceful statement from them about this. In the mean time I wonder how many illnesses our and other nations sailors will pick up?
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 15 at 5:09pm
Bearing in mind there's already been lots of sailing there in recent years there ought to be pretty good data about how many illnesses the sailors pick up.

Must admit I can remember the days when half the fleet I was in at the time used to go down with bugs the week after the Weston grand slam.
Caveman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Caveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 15 at 5:40pm
So the World's top sailors at the World's most prestigious sailing event will be risking their health as a result of exposure to raw sewage? That is pretty shameful. Mind you, I have sailed in a few places around the UK that were not great. Plus I well remember the stroll my girlfriend and I took along the otherwise fantastic beach at Lytham St Anne's. It wasn't fish that we spotted in shallows. 
Enthusiasm>Skill
tgruitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tgruitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 15 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by JimC

Bearing in mind there's already been lots of sailing there in recent years there ought to be pretty good data about how many illnesses the sailors pick up.

Must admit I can remember the days when half the fleet I was in at the time used to go down with bugs the week after the Weston grand slam.

Looked and smelled pretty awful when I was there in 2009...
Needs to sail more...
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 15 at 7:39am
This has been in the news for a couple of years at least, yet there seems no interest from anywhere in doing anything about it. Too late now, I'd say, as any money put aside when they said it would be cleaned up will have vanished.

The other ignored thing was sailors being mugged between sailing and hotel.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Woodburner View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Woodburner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 15 at 12:01pm
We're hardly in a position to comment, South West Water are still pouring raw sewage into the sea off Devon and Cornwall.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 15 at 2:28pm
Ummm.... so it seems that the sailing venue in Rio is NOT safe at all. Well done ISAF for looking after your competitors:

http://sailinganarchy.com/2015/08/19/outbreak/

I luv Wight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote I luv Wight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 15 at 8:22pm
I recall sailing past a lot of 'logs' at Harwich 1980's on the way out of the harbour.

http://www.bloodaxeboats.co.uk
Andy P
foiling Int Moth GBR3467
Freedom 21 Codling
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>