FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What sit-in no kneeling dinghy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
NickM View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote NickM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 15 at 10:05am
Patrick, best place to look for old wooden Solos is the Solo Class website http://www.solosailing.org.uk/fs/fs_list.asp

IMHO the age and condition of a wooden hull and how "modern" the rig is, is more important than the builder given your budget.
Woodburner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Woodburner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 15 at 2:08pm
Patrick I know somebody who can help you with those tea trays, I do a very nice one for fourteen hundred quid, all carbon..

It could help you with your wood addiction problem (You're in good company here though it's like a self help group, loads of wood botherers)  Wink
ajbaldwin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote ajbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 15 at 10:07pm
Hi Patrick

Have you tried a Vareo out?  I am 6 foot 2 and 15 stone and I don't really do a lot of kneeling.  Sure if you don't have the kite up downwind you will have to but the main point of a vareo is the down wind blast. The slope of the boom is also handy and if you are caught in a drifter I usually stand up anyway.  Might be worth trying one
Yorkshire Dales SC
Vareo 505
Keith_Callaghan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith_Callaghan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 15 at 2:45pm
Hello Patrick, your quest for a singlehander that is 'user-friendly' is a common one, but in a crowded market it is nonetheless difficult to find a singlehander that meets your needs. You have mentioned my HADRON, which I am sure would suit you very well. Unfortunately, there are few examples around, and none at the price that you are prepared to pay. If you want to shell out for a new dinghy, then a carbon/aramid/epoxy/foam composite version of the Hadron will soon be available, for less than the price of a Phantom or Blaze.
But with your limited budget, may I suggest that you look for a HARRIER? This is the singlehander that I designed in 1972, and is a direct ancestor of the HADRON. See http://www.bluelightning.co.uk/Harrier/harrier1.htm. About 70 Harriers were built - in solid GRP, so they have lasted very well. You will occasionally see one for sale, though they are much sought after. The price is generally just a few hundred quid. Michael McNamara has a Harrier, which he sails every week at his local club. So if it's good enough for him....

Edited by Keith_Callaghan - 26 Aug 15 at 2:47pm
gbr1918 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gbr1918 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 15 at 8:48am
OKs are a ton of fun and you can sit on the mainsheet traveller in light weather.  Also, they've been around forever and you can pick up old-but-sound boats for not too much money.  They are pretty demanding, though.  I've got a feeling that for a guy at your level it'd be a pretty steep learning curve and you could find yourself doing a bit of swimming! Wink
Dave

Edited by gbr1918 - 27 Oct 15 at 8:51am
craiggo View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 15 at 7:10pm
Having just bought an OK as my midweek and winter weapon I'd say they are great boats. I wouldn't say they were demanding, just a bit different to the norm.
Graduate 2928
OK 2071
RickHough View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RickHough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 16 at 2:11pm
May I recommend a Comet? Once you find the balance points they are light, easy to handle in and out of the water, have lots of clubs around the country who race them and are really well built. Your budget would buy a nice one.

You can carry a passenger and the cockpit is nice and deep - they can be tricky down wind but plane easily and have wonderful manners. They only weigh 46kg so can be easily car topped.
Comet 236
Jamesr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jamesr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 16 at 11:30am

Hello Patrickcr

Im in a similar position to you. Nice to have a boat with a bit of speed but Im inland where there is not much wind and kneeling in the middle of my Topper Topaz is no fun.

What did you get in the end?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123