FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

More great race reports

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
chrisg View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote chrisg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More great race reports
    Posted: 19 Oct 15 at 11:24pm
http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/186263  Clap Excellent as usual from Steve, possibly funnier still from the back of the fleet http://myrs300.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/not-event-report-rs300-inlands.html (I can relate to this one more than the front of fleet reports)...
iiiiitick View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote iiiiitick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 15 at 7:33pm
My word Mr. Bolland........stereotyping, biting!!!!
iiiiitick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iiiiitick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 15 at 3:18pm
I think that those of us who write reports should give each other tasks, to insert strange words. I have voluntarily managed to use 'flatulence' and 'trombone' recently.
kneewrecker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 15 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by JimC

Mmm, but cliches become cliches because they communicate well with people.

OK- got a new one for you.... 'inaugural'... I'm sick of that word in article titles and event descriptions.

I fear the only solution is to stop reading reports about new classes that may or may not make it past 3 or 4 of these blessed events.
tgruitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tgruitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 15 at 11:55am
Reports from the Windward Mark are back, this one is good!

http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/184772/Volvo-Noble-Marine-RS200-Nationals-day-3

Edited by MerlinMags - 14 Oct 15 at 4:13pm
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 15 at 9:01pm
I see one of my colleagues has managed to get both the snakes and the champagne past TPTB...

http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/184683/International-Canoe-Europeans-at-Travem%C3%BCnd

I thought this was a pretty damn good report though...

Edited by JimC - 01 Aug 15 at 9:02pm
kneewrecker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 15 at 7:55am
It's never 'Stella Artois' sailing is it.... But that would be more appropriate :

Verbal, emotional and sometimes physical abuse of the 'sailing spouse'

Feels good at the time, but hurts in the morning

In those susceptible, it can result in out of character acts of minor cheating and rule infrigement.

Edited by kneewrecker - 01 Aug 15 at 8:14am
iiiiitick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iiiiitick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 15 at 10:38pm
I would not use 'Champagne sailing' because it is over used but what an evocative phrase it is? Bubbles, spray and sunshine. It's like 'leaden skies', we all know what that means or 'crashing waves'. I think I may try, 'the sails crackled like cooking bacon' or 'the spinnaker billowed like the breasts  of a beautiful woman'.
tgruitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tgruitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 15 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by JimC

variable conditions in which it was easy to gain or lose a lot of ground quickly...

Nicely put, I'd much rather read that than and stupid board game related cliches!

I agree about 'Champagne Sailing' too, I don't even like Champagne!
Needs to sail more...
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 15 at 4:46pm
Mmm, but cliches become cliches because they communicate well with people. Maybe a talented writer can come up with a different phrase, but its a pretty evocative shortcut for variable conditions in which it was easy to gain or lose a lot of ground quickly...

Anyway I'm sure we all have our own stylistic quirks. I'm very prone to starting paragraphs with adverbs, particularly ones starting in a, and most especially anyway. If I'm not careful I'll see half the paragraphs in a report starting with it...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>