FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Navigating with iPad or android tablet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
craiggo View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Navigating with iPad or android tablet
    Posted: 21 May 15 at 6:52pm
Yeah, but you can't play angry birds on a Raymarine
Steve H View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 15 at 3:06pm
Navionic's will work on both Android and Apple devices but you have to make sure that both of them have a built in GPS. You can also use a tablet with the right app and wifi for AIS which can be handy.

Bear in mind though that you can also get a Garmin or Raymarine colour chart plotter from some of the web based chandlers for about £260 - £300 if you shop around and they are fully waterproof, come with mounts and can be hardwired to both power and your radio
Duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 15 at 5:46pm
+1 for iNavX

Lifeproof or Andres Industries case for protection and waterproofing. AudioNation do a package with clamp or suction cup mounting options.  USB back-up battery pack for about £20 (I use RAVPower) more than doubles your battery life.  Make sure Wifi, bluetooth and data roaming are turned off and it must be an iPad with cellular for true GPS.
Oatsandbeans View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oatsandbeans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 15 at 4:44pm
I use the inavX on my ipad. It is really good for pilotage, or as a back up for a system on a yacht ( if the batteries die which is not uncommon).You can also download chart updates so you always have good charts. Get a waterproof case- if your life depends on it as ipads don't like getting wet.
NeilB-Phantom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote NeilB-Phantom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 15 at 2:51pm
I've used the navionics app on a 7in android tablet and my phone and its great, very easy to use but rather limited in capability to be a main nav solution great as a back up though.

there is a company that do a dedicated tablet and chart plotting app that works in the UK  (meridian-chartware.co.uk) - its a windows tablet I think with Raster rather than vector charts - no personal experience of this but used something similar on a cheapy 10in lap top with a USB GPS and that was very good, more more capable  in terms of route planning etc than the tablet app.  but not so good for having on deck!

Phantom 1384
Dazcat D995
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 15 at 12:59pm
3g ipad with Navionics app is almost certainly the best way to go. I am the most anti i-device person on the planet preferring to avoid them at all costs but having seen the Navionics app in action on my fathers ipad I cant argue against it.

Dont however forget to buy paper charts, over reliance on electronic aids has been identified as the cause of many serious incidents!
Lolascott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lolascott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 15 at 11:10am
I am looking for some help regarding chart plotting and navigation.  My partner has a 28 foot yacht and has been doing lots of improvements.  He has heard about using an iPad or tablet to help with charts and navigation but is not very good with technology.  I have searched the internet but most forums or help pages are geared towards international waters,  mostly around america.  We are based in Scotland and he only sails around scotland and next year the uk.  Does anyone have any advice on what on board tablet is best and what apps would be needed? I'm intending to buy this for him as a birthday gift. 

Many thanks in advance
 Post Reply Post Reply