FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which cat ????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rpatz View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rpatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which cat ????
    Posted: 10 Apr 15 at 8:54am
I'm looking for my first cat
I no novice raced Lasers, 200's, Int 14's, B14's

Looking for a multi hull challenge and not sure where to start

I want something that has the option to sail 2 up if I fancied

Any advice and information would help
I need to know what's a realistic choice for a first cat

So far I've looked at

Sprint/ Dart 15 down side no kite but can be sailed 2 up or single handed

Old style nacra 17 can it be sailed 2 up ? Positive it has a kite ! Would these be trying to run before I can wak ?

Stealth F16. Don't know a lot about them. Can they be sailed one up ? Again is this bitting off more than I can chew ?

Any other options that I have missed please help

pondlife1736 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondlife1736 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 15 at 2:33pm
Depends where you plan to sail and whether you are looking for fleet or handicap racing, or just blasting about

Dart/Sprint 15 is best chance for fleet racing singlehanded and will take a light crew. Also not having a kite means it's better round the cans. Very easy to sail (but hard to sail well - that's my excuse anyway!) they are an ideal first cat.

If you are not interested in racing, also look at the Dart 16 as they are bulletproof and can singlehand or take 3-4 easily, and are pretty cheap nowadays. 

Dart 18 can be singlehanded, but is then a bit of a handful in a blow. Better if mostly 2 up.

Look at the Shadow as well, as it's dedicated for singlehanded unlike F16. I think the F16 would require a higher skill level. 

Don't know about the Nacra 17, not sailed one. Look at the weight though, as pulling up the slipway singlehanded can be a significant factor!

Ultimate has to be an A-class, but not as your first cat!
PeterG View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 15 at 2:58pm
Or this: http://www.warsashacademy.co.uk/news-events/news-articles/2014/september/cutting-edge-hydrofoil-catamaran-unveiled-at-southampton-boat-show.aspx

It's claimed to be easy to sail - and to have been sailed successfully by 2 kids with no exceptional skill or experience. Not cheap though!
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
Rpatz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rpatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 15 at 3:29pm
Ideally I'm looking for thrills and spills
With plenty bang for my buck

My new local club isn't that big and I recon if I built my own boat out of paper I'd still given them a good run for there money

So it doesn't have to compete well on handicap or even large open meeting just crash and burn sailing really

catmandoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote catmandoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 15 at 3:45pm
stealth f16 is answer to all you ask 
chrisg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote chrisg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 15 at 8:43am
Good luck finding one for sale though. I've had half an eye on the F16 market and I reckon only one Stealth came on the market in the last two years....

Edit: make that two. Turns out there is one on apolloduck now but a fair trek from Scotland!

Edited by chrisg - 26 Apr 15 at 8:47am
catmandoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote catmandoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 15 at 3:53pm
when buying boats for scotland , you have to be prepared for trek , my stealth came from builder in wales , furthest for a previous cat belglum, part of the fun .

forton services carpark ive bought boats meeting folks half way too :)

Edited by catmandoo - 11 May 15 at 3:54pm
 Post Reply Post Reply