FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Scorpion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Wet-As-'Ell View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Wet-As-'Ell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Scorpion
    Posted: 11 Mar 15 at 2:07pm
Hi all....
I have been given (yes, given) a 1964 Scorpion that needs "a little" renovation and love.
Because I am worse than useless (and sometimes dangerous) at DIY, I have approached a marina in Cumbria to look at the woodwork for me and I will then do the varnishing/finishing.
However, I have no idea how to do this either and wondered if anyone had some tips (Other than burn it or pay for someone to do the whole lot).    
Cheers
Mark

Edited by Wet-As-'Ell - 11 Mar 15 at 2:08pm
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 15 at 2:12pm
I should go here... http://www.cvrda.org/community/

Be aware that doing up old boats should only be undertaken as a labour of love for the pleasure of the activity: financially its a dead cert loser. You spend the entire value of the boat just on paint and glue, and when you've finished its worth no more than when you started...

Edited by JimC - 11 Mar 15 at 2:16pm
Wet-As-'Ell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wet-As-'Ell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 15 at 2:21pm
Thanks Jim but it just takes me back to the home page.

Cheers
Mark
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 15 at 2:57pm
Just type in cvrda.org and it will take you to the Classic and Vintage Racing Dinghy Association, where lots of people have been through what you are doing. As Jim says, only do it if that is part of the joy of ownership. Otherwise, you might begin to think free was over priced!
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Woodbotherer View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Woodbotherer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 15 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by Wet-As-'Ell

Hi all....
 (Other than burn it or pay for someone to do the whole lot).    
Cheers
Mark

Allow me to introduce myself and offer good burning advice, I can recommended decent brands of match, suggest flammatory products to assist, to make the whole diy boat burning experience rich and fulfilling.
Tom J View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tom J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 15 at 4:23pm
Someone else doing something similar and may be able to provide some tips: http://www.sailscorpion.co.uk/?p=1143
iiitick View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote iiitick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 15 at 12:22am
Why not just nail it back together, get it sailing and have fun? I did this with an old Merlin a few years ago. The boat was considered beyond saving but I saved it....sort of. We had a bit of fun, and boy won a race with his sister in it. By pure chance I sold it to the son of the original owner but as Jim says there was no profit in it.

In my twenties I 'restored' a number of what now would be called classic cars, then just old cars. Good fun just to get them going again. I had two Bentleys at the same time and a 1957 Porsche Convertible D. which in good condition are worth £150,000 now....mine was worth about £150 plus the cost of 1,000,000 pop rivets and half a ton of filler.
Riv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Riv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 15 at 9:27pm
If you are considering paying someone to do the woodwork, this boat must mean an awfull  lot to you...........

However you don't say if you have ever sailed a Scorpion before, so as iitick says above maybe the best thing to do is to patch it together for this year, sail it and see if you even like it. Scorpions are not everyones cup of tea.

With the Epoxy revolution anyone can patch up an old boat enough to get it sailing. So unless you  are actually going through the bottom and other bit are literally falling off patch it and have fun!
JohnJack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JohnJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 15 at 9:30am
Originally posted by Riv

Scorpions are not everyones cup of tea.

Interesting comment, how so? (other than any other class)
Woodburner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Woodburner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 15 at 11:39am
We had a visit from a Scorpion owner recently. Left it on the beach whilst he went for a cupper .

Tide came in, Inshore rescue boat launched, boat trashed.

Scorpion Owners.

Check the photo sequenceCount the bodies that came to it's 'rescue'

Edited by Woodburner - 02 Apr 15 at 11:44am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>