FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

29er?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CatRJ View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote CatRJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 29er?
    Posted: 04 Feb 15 at 9:37pm
My club has just decided to support 29ers next season, and I would love to skipper one, but I'm only 165cm (5ft5) and 52kg (115lb). 
Am I too small for this class? (potential crew also around 55kg)
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 15 at 6:17am
If you're too light to get the rig out of the water with just one person on the daggerboard then I think you'd find things frustrating. Unfortunately I don't know how light that is.
MattK View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote MattK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 15 at 8:42am
The design combined crew weight is listed as 122-145kg so 107 is a tad light but seems reasonable, a 97 cherub is aimed at similar weights and i started sailing them with a combined 105 and had no problem, but of course this doesn't mean a 29er is the same

Id say best bet is to try one, and as jim says, test if you can sort yourself out if things go wrong, if not start feeding your crew!

DuncanB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DuncanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 15 at 11:04am
CatRJ
Great to hear that you are planning to sail a 29er. I am 168m and 63kg and sail them with no problem. at 52kg you will be perfect weight for a helm. with a crew of 55kg you will also be ok. the competitive weight range is 110kg - 135kg however I do know teams who are fast at 105KG and also as heavy as 145 kg. if you have any questions let me know Dunc
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 15 at 11:07am
Depends where the club is. If sea based and generally has strong winds, you may get blown away. If inland, chances are you'll have a blast.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
CatRJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CatRJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 15 at 11:32am
Thanks everyone :)
I'll be getting into 29ers ASAP! 
Watch out for the lightweight 29er from AUS in a few years :)
robinft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote robinft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 15 at 5:08pm
In a few years you'll be the heavy team from Australia.
Laser number 9
CatRJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CatRJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 15 at 10:28am
Maybe... that  would be nice, but then again maybe not since neither of us have managed to put on more than 1 combined kg since 2010; quite an achievement considering our efforts to change that!
Flying 11- 1375
 Post Reply Post Reply