FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Back on the Lake.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back on the Lake.
    Posted: 01 Dec 14 at 12:48pm
Starting drinking at 5.45 the previous evening of our laying up supper was probably a mistake, fully realised as the rudder fell off the yards from the shore in an offshore breeze, I really must learn how to make these things work without it. Hitching up the boat, negotiating the lake fortifications, stopping twice as the trailer board fell off, it was always going to be a disaster this return to the lake fray, pitching in with the Miracles, Solos, Streakers, Lasers, Snipes, a 300 and the bandido bros rocking a Buzz about, which seemed strangely out of place and probably the only boat other than a 300 that would be out of place with the rest of Pancho Villas hordes.

In fact it's got so that you really need a kind of anti bandit term for us, it's like chucking a naked virgin into a viking horde, the ravaging we get..

But it did eventually all come good, I somehow got it all together and had a passable start and but for a late shift came very close to rounding first (at least i though I was going to, not so, a gust to the right brought just about all the front runners back and round ahead of me so I had to battle with Miracles being sailed well (and telliing me to stop rocking) Me! a frail old guy who can't stand up without falling over and grabbing the rig now and again hows a fella expected to sail to handicap without the odd ooch & pump like the good guys do?
Nope you're expected to sit there and eat up their 1200 handicap against your 1024 and all your protestations about the EPS class permitting it are null and void because this is a handicap race and it's not allowed! (I bet that doesn't get enforced at the Great Lakes) So I behaved myself eat it up, did eventually get by them all finished about 4th having had a Battle Royale with Gemma in the Snipe with a brilliant finish on her part with a tack to lee bow on a starboard line call, so all in all enjoyable just the same and a good head clearer.

Lots of boats, an old acquaintance from the past punting a Solo around a lot quicker than it should be and a bonus for me in that I finally beat the Rooster 8.1 over the water. The boys did well to pilot a Buzz around with its Assym kite, I've no idea where they finished I can never bear to look at the results, some dozy t*t has printed an article about the Miracle not being a bandit, it is now pinned to the club wall and we're back on National Handicaps.

Everyone is so pleased.

Edited by iGRF - 01 Dec 14 at 2:46pm
Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 14 at 12:59pm
Is the Miracle non-bandit article available on-line?  I might need that soon.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 14 at 2:22pm
We have 2 Miracles at Whitefriars. I'd love to say that 1200 was a bandit handicap (and I really, really think that it is) but the results don't really show that it is - the Lightning has a pretty averagely poor handicap (compared to the Solo) and yet they don't seem to beat us often.

However, good to hear you are back on the pond, Grumph - I've missed the whinging about windshifts and the comments about what would have been if so and so hadn't happened. All you need t do now is try and work out what WILL happen next and sail to that, so you get the "luck".
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 14 at 2:38pm
If the results don't support it, Rupert, how can you believe that is it?  Suspicions about the sailors' abilities, I guess.

Actually, I can believe that 1200 is favourable for a Miracle on a little pond with a tendency to lighter winds, but try it on a tideway where quicker boats are flying uptide unawares, while you're struggling to stem it.

Another example where we do need different numbers for different venues.

I knew we'd soon get this topic onto the PY track!
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 14 at 2:39pm
I think it's that mental dougal dog all suitably outraged for the benefit of the wood botherers he's obviously hell bent on placating, so he can write owner manuals for the luddite. He even mentioned the Hythe incident so clearly a reference to events reported here.

I reminded them the exact definition of a Bandit, which is the combination of good helms and a slow boat more suited to beginners. So it could also be thought of as a back handed complement.

But when every single Miracle well sailed or otherwise beats you, and you have beaten other quite good helms, then you know the truth of the matter and leave with a slightly moral holier than thou grin..

They're Bandits no doubt about it and I'm not, so I can stand in judgement upon them and don't I love that...

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 14 at 2:43pm
I'm not sure whether a "bad helm in a quicker boat" is allowed to make such judgements.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 14 at 2:56pm
Can't call me that now.. I made top twenty in a 5-6 remember? Oh no you were probably tucked up in bed with ear defenders in case that wind howl frightened you..

That article was in 'the Halo' the Halo is the class bible everything in it is true, if they had an article about Kool Aid they'd queue up to lay down in a circle.

I'd been getting confused about them wittering about this Halo, I'd thought hmm one bandit to another and quipped about 1015 and had it anything to do with Ayatollah the 'Dark Prince' Lyons he who controlleth the Great Lakes system with the power of his mind.

But no, I've just discovered it this very moment on their website, next to the sacrifice your child bit..    

Edited by iGRF - 01 Dec 14 at 3:00pm
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 14 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Medway Maniac

If the results don't support it, Rupert, how can you believe that is it?  Suspicions about the sailors' abilities, I guess.

Actually, I can believe that 1200 is favourable for a Miracle on a little pond with a tendency to lighter winds, but try it on a tideway where quicker boats are flying uptide unawares, while you're struggling to stem it.

Another example where we do need different numbers for different venues.

I knew we'd soon get this topic onto the PY track!

Not even the helming standard - simply the thought that can a boat with added spinnaker really be that much slower than a Firefly? Doesn't "fit" my preconceptions. I can well believe that neither the Miracle nor the Firefly would be quick on the tide, so it is purely an inland thing. I have a feeling that a well sailed Firefly on GRF's pond would wipe the floor with the lot of them, so maybe 1200 not so bad, and it is simply that the rest of them are either muppets or sailing boats which fail to suit the water, neither of which make the Miracle a bandit.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 14 at 3:41pm
Well the main bone of contention comes from the not so long ago point when they and the streakers got along OK with the Streaker around 1162 and the Miracle was 1178 with the Solo there or there abouts and there is very little to choose between them, but they (the Miracle) have their kite to offset any perceived loss they might make to windward, which ain't that much now they can alter their jib slots significantly due to some change in the class ruling. (I don't know any of this for sure but it's what I hear.) I aint going to beat any of them Solo Streaker, Miracle I'd have to lap them twice and it's difficult often taking at least one lap to get past them if you don't make a good start and get round that top mark clear.

The normal tactical rules don't always apply down there either particularly when the wind is in the North so when they make silly mistakes (like not taking the tack that's taking you closest to the mark) they can still get a 'lucky' break.

The other problem you have with a mono rig is the inability to crank a tactical lee bow onto twin sailed hulls, they still sail all over you, lots of stuff I'm not used to, you might lee bow their jib but their main still shoves them over you, that damn Jenna kept doing it in the Snipe, she's all over me like a bad rash upwind, that's another Bandit at 1080

Edited by iGRF - 01 Dec 14 at 3:43pm
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 14 at 4:15pm
Your lake appears to be so small that "normal" yardsticks are very likely to be wrong. 3 choices - sail a boat that suits the lake (and will therefore be a "bandit" in your terminology, get the club to alter handicaps (though you don't seem to like this when they change yours, despite it simply being a recognition that an eps can't sail to speed on a puddle, or whinge, bitch and moan.

You appear to have gone for the last option, which might suggest you find this more fun than the actual sailing. Personally, I'd go for option 1.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>