FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How I learned to forget bandits & enjoy fair play

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
kneewrecker View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How I learned to forget bandits & enjoy fair play
    Posted: 28 Nov 14 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by PeterG

So you have to do it for fun to start with if you are an early adopter - which is surely what we all do it for anyway  Wink

precisely - a 'qualifying period' - in fact, make that qualifying period the number of returns the RYA receive for any given class.  No point wasting the PYAG time for a boat which is essential a custom built jobby for one or a very few individual sailors.
Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 14 at 12:55pm
Except that an estimated PY (and I'm content we could get within 3% points in most cases) would at least give you something to race for in those early races.  Six Sundays is a long time to just be sailing around some can.

To keep the conspiracy theory people happy, we could knock 3% off initially so that the error will be to their benefit.  I'd rather race my Oppie on 1610 than 1000 or no EN at all.
fab100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fab100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 14 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Simon Lovesey

[

SailRacer runs the PYS Online system for the RYA and I personally sit on PYaG

We also run the GJW Direct SailJuice Winter Series

Nothing to hide

Glad to hear it Simon.

So can you please help me understand why both the 10.2 and 8.4 rigs have been given a PN of 988 for the SailJuice series when the RYA official numbers issued last March were 988 and 1000 respectively.

FWIW I'd be pretty sure the volume of data used to get to 1000 for the 8.4 would be substantially greater than the 988 for the 10.2 too, as most now use the former most of the time.

I was not unhappy to use my big rig at the Draycote Drift, but if the forecast is for a breeze for another event, I'll feel a bit put upon I reckon.

Do you want us as a class to turn up or not?

Clive
Simon Lovesey View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Simon Lovesey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 14 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by fab100

[

Nothing to hide

Glad to hear it Simon.

So can you please help me understand why both the 10.2 and 8.4 rigs have been given a PN of 988 for the SailJuice series when the RYA official numbers issued last March were 988 and 1000 respectively.

FWIW I'd be pretty sure the volume of data used to get to 1000 for the 8.4 would be substantially greater than the 988 for the 10.2 too, as most now use the former most of the time.

I was not unhappy to use my big rig at the Draycote Drift, but if the forecast is for a breeze for another event, I'll feel a bit put upon I reckon.

Clive

Again SailRacer does not set the handicaps,  for the GJW Direct SailJuice Winter Series this is done by the Great Lakes Group,  article here on their methodology :

These are not RYA numbers 
www.sailracer.org
Online Sailing Results, GPS Tracking & Event Management
Simon Lovesey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Simon Lovesey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 14 at 1:32pm

Originally posted by fab100

[

Nothing to hide

Glad to hear it Simon.

Clive

Again SailRacer does not set the handicaps,  for the GJW Direct SailJuice Winter Series this is done by the Great Lakes Group,  article here on their methodology :

These are not RYA numbers 

And yes we do want you all to turn up 

www.sailracer.org
Online Sailing Results, GPS Tracking & Event Management
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 14 at 2:02pm
And it all started off so well......
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 14 at 2:15pm
To speak up for the Great Lakes people, they seem to have taken onboard my comments about the unsuitability of using the class-recommended V3k handicap for the Laser 3000.  3ks of any hue can now attend SailJuice with a fair chance.
Null View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Null Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 14 at 2:17pm
Thats a bit harsh Clive.  Whilst I agree with you I thought that it was just one class again now the 100's?  It was good to see a couple of you out at Draycote as previous years you all had hibernated over the winter.  But that could be why the handicap is fixed to one number.  Its also worth noting that if the 100 has two numbers then surely it is 2 classes and as such if you entered the one regatta with a 10.2 and one with a 8.4 thats two seperate enteries and would not count for the overall prize.
Null View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Null Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 14 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by Medway Maniac

To speak up for the Great Lakes people, they seem to have taken onboard my comments about the unsuitability of using the class-recommended V3k handicap for the Laser 3000.  3ks of any hue can now attend SailJuice with a fair chance.

Did they not allow the V3k to use the L3k number in the past.  I remember D&D nearly winning the bloody mary off a frankly mental PY

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 14 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by Null

Originally posted by Medway Maniac

Did they not allow the V3k to use the L3k number in the past.  I remember D&D nearly winning the bloody mary off a frankly mental PY

Yes, D&D used, or rather were given, like it or not, the L3k PY, but then subsequently all 3ks were given the class-recommended number for the V3k, which was an impossible target for the average L3k sailor )tho' I guess Ben A. might have made things happen in an L3k if he slimmed down!)  Sublime to ridiculous, or vice versa....

But it's all sorted now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>