FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RS Feva s/h: too few hands...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
skslr View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote skslr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RS Feva s/h: too few hands...
    Posted: 19 Nov 14 at 9:05pm
Is there a clever trick for handling the mainsheet when you need one hand for steering and the other for sheeting the kite?

Putting a slip knot on the main sheet ratchet block was not very elegant...

Or is retro fitting the mainsheet jammer the only way to go?

Thanks!
RichTea View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote RichTea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 14 at 9:38pm
Main sheet to tiller hand, kite has more power than main. 

RS200
MerlinMags View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote MerlinMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 14 at 7:47am
Bum cheeks are better cleats than teeth.
kneewrecker View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 14 at 9:02am
skslr View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote skslr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 14 at 12:07pm
Many thanks for the responses so far!

Looking at the MPS homepage, doesn’t that “bit of slack” in the mainsheet require a jammer?

At least I found the jammer on the MPS pretty helpful when I took one out for the first time…
kneewrecker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 14 at 12:19pm
maybe so- although could you not fit a jammer, or at least side deck cleats like a Laser?
Dougal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dougal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 14 at 3:14pm
I used to hold the main and kite sheet in the same hand.  That way as I sheeted out the kite I would also sheet out the main.  If you hold the main in your tiller hand then when you push the tiller away to head up you sheet out the main.  The bigger problem I had was getting forward for the hoist/drops - my tiller extension wasn't long enough so I just had to let it go and steer by balancing the boat which was slightly precarious if other boats were around me!  It was a lot of fun single handed though.
What could possibly go wrong?
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 14 at 3:47pm
I've been reading all this with interest - I've singlehanded the Feva on several occasions, and I cannot for the life of me remember what I did with the sheets. Can't recall any really big issues, though.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
skslr View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote skslr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 14 at 4:55pm
Apperently the jammer LDC offers fits in the same place the ratchet block currently is mounted at. Not sure I could add cleats on the side deck as it is routomould sandwhich. I am solidly in the recommended crew weight range just on my own, so I have to move back and forths quite a bit and the cleats would always be in the wrong place.

Sailing on a shifty lake I also had to work the kite sheet excessively and I cannot imagine that I would be able to sync that with the main sheet in any useful way. (And I probably should move the jib sheets, too :-)

Setting/dropping the kite is another challenge, at least you can let out the main completely while doing that. Just holding the halyard with the tiller hand while grapping it further upfront with the other hand seemed to work. (Long arms help with that.) Using both hands to pull and letting go the extension - not so much...

I started training my son as a crew, will take a few years, though.
RichTea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RichTea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 14 at 6:28pm
I also got RS to fit a centre tow strap, cos hiking wasnt easy, so they fitted a tow strap from the block to the same fitting point... you had 3 in the helm area but it was so much comfier to hike with that setup.

RS200
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>