FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Warrmer Longjohns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
jaydub View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jaydub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Warrmer Longjohns
    Posted: 06 Nov 14 at 9:27am
The Gill longjohn that I bought in the summer has proved absolutely brilliant during our mild British Summer and has in fact replaced my shortie as the thing to wear on overcast days..

However at this time of year, I'm not really finding it warm enough especially between races.  It's very noticeable that the wind cuts its way through the seams quite easily, so I'm thinking of supplementing it with a longjohn that's more suitable for late autumn / early Spring wear.

I'm reluctant to pay Zhik prices so seeing either the Gul Code Zero or the NP Elite range as being the obvious choices.

I've also had the Gul evotherm longjohn recommended as a base layer, which I'm also considering.

Does anybody have any recommendations based on experience?
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 14 at 1:56pm
Wear salopettes over the top of it to keep the windage down?

I'm a fan of the longjohn, too (much better arm movement) and I'm glad to see it has made a bit of a comeback in recent years.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 14 at 2:14pm
Yes, after going through every available option, I've come to the conclusion that a long john and a dry top is a pretty good combination.

Mind you, if I think I'll stay dry, e.g. in a Wayfarer, I still prefer the totally unfashionable one-piece spray suit. I don't enjoy wearing any wetsuit, and they are only really effective if you get very wet, otherwise they are uncomfortably clammy and not espcially insulative.
Presuming Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Presuming Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 14 at 2:46pm
But do you have a beermat sewn into the bum?

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 14 at 3:00pm
No, I always worried that the stitching holes might transport water...

But it really is just that they're out of fashion, isn't it?  Unless you actually capsize, a spraysuit is just as effective as the much more expensive drysuit (which I also own but choose to keep for windy, winter days).

Of course, in the 3k it's always either a wetsuit of some description or the drysuit, but for the Waybarge or on committee boat duty...
Presuming Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Presuming Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 14 at 3:50pm
Replaced by dinghy oilskins - salopette & splashtop combo, I would think. 

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 14 at 4:37pm
Bought those too.  Damned inconvenient for post-lunch or on the water peeing, though!  My salopettes sit in the cupboard unused.
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 14 at 5:24pm
If you are going the long john and dry top route, make sure the long john is blind stitched, part of the reason why the Zhik is so expensive.  I think that the Gul is too.
Happily living in the past
PeterG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 14 at 5:34pm
You can also extend the seasonal use of long johns by adding a layer underneath - things like Polypro leggings or Hot Leggings.
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
Bootscooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bootscooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 14 at 5:54pm
That's what I do PeterG, Hotlegs then Raceskins then Hikers (I use Rooster, but most manufacturers do the same )
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>