FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Today I believe I sailed my boat to its handicap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Today I believe I sailed my boat to its handicap
    Posted: 05 Oct 14 at 5:39pm
Lost by 6 secs, but only because I went the wrong way on the 2nd leg, had that not happened the natural order would have been restored.

My handicap 1024. Winning boat on handicap Laser 1088, Over the water Hornet, Contender,4000, me, then Lasers.

Other boats Hornet, Contender, Lasers 1 & 4000,

Wind Offshore Northerly 0-7 mph, tide 1-3 kts.

It would be interesting to me if you could all document when you felt the same, i.e. you sailed your particular boat to its handicap and against whom your were racing at the time, oh and wether they happened to have floats attached to the top of their masts.

Edited by iGRF - 05 Oct 14 at 5:40pm
Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 14 at 7:56pm
The 2000 enjoys (well, I suppose it enjoys it, it doesn't say) class racing at WSC.

In view of the boat's preference to float upside down, the fleet at one time almost (not quite unanimously) agreed to make it a fleet rule that everyone, including some pretty good sailors, carried a float at the top of their mast.  What an indictment of the 2k's buoyancy arrangement...
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 14 at 9:10pm
My boat often sails to handicap. Just wish I was in it at the time...
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
NickM View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 14 at 10:20pm
If I get a good result, I sailed my boat to its handicap but nobody else did.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 14 at 6:22am
My boat sails to her handicap all the time. Maybe I should lend her to someone else who would be less of a handicap...
kneewrecker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 14 at 9:38am
I once sailed my Phantom to its handicap.  I was elated -  on cloud nine.  The corrected time reflected the fact that I'd sailed far better than I normal do.  I think I came third out of about 10 of us.  

Sadly the buggers in the RS300s just said it was a bandit boat with an unfeasibly generous handicap.  

What a buzz kill... 

I sold the boat the following week and bought a 300 instead.  If you can't beat them, join them.  
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 14 at 10:05am
Well another Blaze showed up this week in the hands of our better Phantom sailor, I fully expected a thrashing from him but he got wrong sided as the big badly started fast boats came through in the iffy shifty conditions.

But I was pleased to keep them all at bay for a while having lost the start yet watched as they all made classic wrong decisions in shifts and the other Phantom and I rounded 1 & 2 then he also got stuffed at a mark whereas my lake training kept the inside line on the buoy open and full water rights at the end of the 1st reach, and he got big boat buried, at the end of the next beat I still held it overall, so immediately had a snr moment sailed the top reach again instead of going down the run...
robin34024 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote robin34024 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 14 at 5:03pm
I think i usually sail the streaker to or above its handicap, however even after 14 or so points being taken off its PY in the past 2 years, it is a bit of a bandit on the fairly small lake I sail on. I suspect the handicap is about right on open water, but nothing matches it in really shifty conditions.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 14 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by robin34024

I think i usually sail the streaker to or above its handicap, however even after 14 or so points being taken off its PY in the past 2 years, it is a bit of a bandit on the fairly small lake I sail on. I suspect the handicap is about right on open water, but nothing matches it in really shifty conditions.

You can say that again, the day I beat a Streaker on the lake I sail at and it hasn't happened yet despite 6 minute leads, I really will consider I've sail it to its handicap, but I don't think it's ever going to happen, you could bring the nations finest, put them in that EPS and me in a Streaker and I guarantee they'd lose.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 14 at 6:30pm
Shock horror boat suited to water wins a race...

Funny how different pieces of water seem to gather different little boats, though. For me, a lake like GRF describes would suit a boat with a larger sail than the Streaker has. For experience, I'd be surprised if a Firefly ot Britiah Moth wouldn't be even better - maybe even the Lightning, but the Streaker is the boat of choice, and therefore sailed by the best people, and therefore becomes thought of as a bandit by those who can't see what the real problem is.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>