FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is your towing car?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
iiitick View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iiitick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is your towing car?
    Posted: 04 Oct 14 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by Bellingforth

Seems the fun stopped on 1st August 1998

Firstly the car needs to have been appropriately "type approved" to be able to tow -  "If your VIN plate doesn’t list a train weight, you should not use your vehicle for towing."

Then your tow bar also has to be type approved too.  

So we could still get one made for Mrs B's 1997 MX5 - http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=94040

Ah! so I could cut up the bed frame for my early 98' Mazda 323!
Phil_1193 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Phil_1193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 14 at 7:33am
3.2 ltr V6 Omega estate or 2.8V6 turbo Signum, both petrol, hardly notice the boat on the back of either. I don't do fuel economy :-)
iiitick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iiitick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 14 at 8:02am
I never worried about fuel consumption until I had a 1970 V8 Range Rover. I used to tow a box trailer with it. I swear it did 3 mpg into a head wind. I replaced it with a Subaru turbo estate. Now that was a good car but fragile engines.
Do Different View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 14 at 8:14am
Subarus are the tow car with proper cred' for racing dinghies, old Imprezza Sportwagon 100,000 miles and still sweet. 
Neal_g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neal_g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 14 at 9:54am
audi q7 s line

does everything from oppi to yacht
(Redoubt Sc)
Miracle 4040
GP14 13407

Crewsaver phase 2 range now available to buy online on at http://www.gibsonsails.com
fleaberto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fleaberto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 14 at 12:10pm
Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0 (Petrol) Sport estate ...... or Mrs Fleaberto's Yaris if we really need to load up
Lightning368 'All the Gear' (409), Lightning368 'Sprite' (101), Laser (big number) 'Yellow Jack', RS Vareo (432)'The Golden Rays'
Contender443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 14 at 12:37pm
So here is a question for all you camper van owners. Are you really saving more money on accommodation (if that is your reason for awnership) compared to the extra MPG cost? This is especially true if you use your T5 as your day to day vehicle. 
Bonnie Lass Contender 1764
Bootscooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bootscooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 14 at 12:55pm
I did a LOAD of number crunching before getting our first camper (27ft knackered old Peugeot, before later changing it for the T5 that I now use day-to-day).
Travelodges are cheap but minty, and the pull-out beds become too small after a very short period of time when the Yoofs put on a growing spurt - meaning you'd need 2 rooms, so £60 a night. Premier Inns have nicer rooms, but the bed issue is the same and they have a variable price policy so you may have to pay £80+ for a room!
The biggest expense though is food.... if you're moteling then you've got to go out to eat, so a pub meal for 2 adults and 2 Yoofs (that have been on the water for 7-8 hours can easily be £100!!!!!

That's where the huge savings are, and with camping at £15 a night for 4 (if there's a charge at all) it's a considerable sum over a year if you're doing a lot of events.

I worked out that we saved £3K a year using the Peugeot, even with the increased fuel consumption.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 14 at 1:47pm
Never dared do the maths. It is my wife's mid life crisis (or wendy house) so logic never came into the decision. Tell you what, though, it means you can stagger out of a sailing club bar and straight to bed. Priceless...
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
kneewrecker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 14 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by Rupert

Tell you what, though, it means you can stagger out of a sailing club bar and straight to bed. Priceless...

according to some on this forum, you can stagger out of sailing club bar, get into the car and drive to a local S&M dungeon for a night of pain and torture (as if sailing an EPS wasn't enough humiliation and degradation already....)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>