FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wooden Side Decks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
The Moo View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote The Moo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wooden Side Decks
    Posted: 22 Sep 14 at 1:04pm
Noticed that the grain has opened up on mine. Wood is fairly new but I do no believe that it has been epoxied. Undersides do not appear to have any coating at all.

Would like to get it sorted before temperatures drop too far.

Any suggestions on how to remedy appreciated.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 14 at 1:57pm
Nothing on the underside at all? If that's the case you need to remedy that as a matter of urgency, but hard to believe anyone would be that silly. What's the history?

sounds as if it might be good to get the boat under cover for a couple of weeks to dry out thoroughly then revarnish and do the undersides if accessible.
The Moo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Moo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 14 at 4:11pm
Side decks were replaced by previous owner and spray varnished I am led to believe prior to sale. Underside completely accessible.

Once I have sorted underside what should I do with topside to prevent reoccurence? Very little depth of varnish as far as I can see.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 14 at 4:51pm
I'm a very long way short of the worlds greatest wielder of a varnish brush, but what exactly is the problem. Is the varnish coat actually compromised? If the decks are unvarnished underneath I suppose its possible that damp has actually helped lift the varnish from the wood... I personally aren't convinced its necessary to go back to bare wood as often as folk do, but you do need to get the moisture content to something healthy and get an unbroken cover over all the wood.
The Moo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Moo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 14 at 6:52pm
When you brush your hand over the surface it feels rough and you can see small fissures where previously there was not.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 14 at 6:59pm
Sand it back hard until it is smooth, then revarnish. Agree you don't necessarily have to strip it back, unless areas are lifting. But before that turn the boat over and redo the undersides of the deck. The tops will never look as new, and once the cracks start, they have a habit of coming back. They seem to whether you use epoxy, G4 (or other cyanide based primers) or more normal varnishes. However, plenty of coats and keep an eye on it and you should be fine.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
 Post Reply Post Reply