FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Team Hafren

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
craiggo View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Team Hafren
    Posted: 01 Jun 14 at 9:35pm
So Team Hafren (Jeremy Warren & Phil Kirk) from Thornbury SC, set off from Weymouth yesterday (11:22am) in their Wayfarer aiming to break the record (unofficial) for the quickest circumnavigation of Britain.

After a day and a half on the water they are nearing lands end, and are aiming to continue on to Dale before their next stop.

Support the guys at:

http://www.xtremedinghycruising.com/

where you can plot their progress hourly thanks to yellowbrick.
Quagers View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Quagers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 14 at 8:20am
What is the current record?

Pretty sure some of the maxi yachts that have done the round Britian and Ireland race won't be beaten by a Wayfarer.

Ok, just read that it is for an 'open boat' still I also know people who have done the same thing in a F18, again pretty sure that will have been faster.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 14 at 8:26am
Given this is on Dinghy Yarns, I suspect we can assume the record is for something which we would say "dinghy" when we saw it. Cats and Maxi yachts look like what they are, too.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 14 at 9:24am
There are a couple of folk at our club that will be interested in this, I wonder how it'll stack up against the Windsurfers that went round time wise.
MerlinMags View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote MerlinMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 14 at 4:15pm
If you missed it:
www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/176515/Wayfarer-Round-Britain

Should be interesting to read more about their voyage.

Once it's been done in a Wayfarer then someone needs to up the ante and get round the mainland in a twin-trapeze dinghy...
kneewrecker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 14 at 4:18pm
It's been done already in a Wayfayer Mags...

craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 14 at 7:20pm
Try reading the website guys, and your questions will all be answered.
Jim, Fran cut the corner via the Caledonian canal and loch Ness, so not the same. Ludo completed the route in 76 days but had a mix of crews and generally only sailed in daylight. These guys are sailing through the night and are looking at 3-4 day stints out at sea.
Currently they are half way across the Bristol Channel just west of Lundy heading to Dale. So that's Weymouth to Dale potentially in 2.5 days which is impressive even in a big boat.
MerlinMags View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote MerlinMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 14 at 11:57am
Originally posted by kneewrecker

It's been done already in a Wayfayer Mags...

I was aware of that (as Fran rightfully belongs in a Merlin). I was referring to the Hafren plan of staying offshore for 3 days at a time.

Fran went from port to port and slept in proper beds (or in shipping containers!). I can't help thinking I'd enjoy a mix of both options myself...
ChrisI View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote ChrisI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 14 at 3:43pm
Message from Jeremy this morning to say they are in Dale, so that's pretty cool - Weymouth to Dale, Pembrokeshire, in one hop in a Wayfarer - brilliant!

The very lightweight jaunt across the channel from St Margarets Bay to Calais Plage I did with him a few years ago in a Laser 2k was very evidently not nearly challenging enough.

Edited by ChrisI - 03 Jun 14 at 3:44pm
kneewrecker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 14 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by MerlinMags

Fran went from port to port and slept in proper beds (or in shipping containers!). I can't help thinking I'd enjoy a mix of both options myself...

that's the difference between a merlin sailor and a cherub sailor I guess.  One sounds infinitely more civilised, but I assume that's not the point.  

Anyway, I hope they have fun.  It's certainly something they can tell their grandkids in the future.

Bon Voyage...  Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>