FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mirror gybe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
about a boat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote about  a boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mirror gybe
    Posted: 17 Oct 14 at 3:58pm
All OK thanks. It works like clock work with the exception of the halyard (continuous). I think this is a little too long at the moment as the line twists and then kinks and stops it from running through the block leading it back into the spinny bag. I am thinking about rigging up some sort of strop or elastic take up to keep the halyard from sloshing around on the floor. But I am unsure where to make it off or it anyone does something different. Any suggestions?

I have tried looking on the Mirror CA website but despite all the information on there, there is very little about boat set up.
Thanks
getafix View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 14 at 5:57pm
How did it go?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote about  a boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 14 at 9:36am
Thanks
ohFFsake View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ohFFsake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 14 at 10:00pm
Same.

The holy grail of gybing a conventional spinnaker is not to collapse it in the process. If the kite stays filled the boat maintains speed which improves control and stability as well as reducing sheet loads.

I'd suggest the following drill as a starting point:

1. Agree you are setting up for a gybe.
2. Bear off to a dead run smoothly. Crew and helm move into boat together
3. Crew removes guy from reaching hook / twinning line so both sheets are now controlled from centre of boat.
4. Crew trims spinnaker so both clews are approximately equal, then hands sheets to helm
5. Helm takes both sheets in one hand and steers with the other.
6. Helm should now sight forward under the sails and concentrate on steering dead downwind and level.
7. Helm calls crew to gybe the main when happy whilst helm concentrates on not changing course
8. Once the boom is across crew swaps pole over whilst helm continues to trim both sheets.
9. Crew puts new guy in reaching hook and takes sheet back from helm
10. Both move back out together (crew to windward, helm to leeward)

Practice when it's light to get the timing and footwork right. Adapt the details of how you hold the sheets, which side of the mainsheet the helm's arm goes etc until it all works smoothly.

When you can do this routinely the trick to doing it in windy conditions is largely about smooth steering and timing - picking the right moment to pop the boom across at the end of a gust or as the boat starts to surf down a wave so there is less load as it comes over; and also anticipating how much "back-steer" to apply to keep the boat dead downwind.
getafix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 14 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by GybeFunny

When I sailed Mirrors in the 90's it was ALWAYS option 2.

same in the 80's  Wink

I really think this is a period that improved my sailing, particularly gybing, as both helm and crew, because you really learn the importance of controlling the gybe, coming out (as well as going in) when dead downwind and keeping the main under control, all good skills for your whole sailing life and learnt by crewing and helming a mirror in my early years (8-14yrs)
GybeFunny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GybeFunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 14 at 10:15am
When I sailed Mirrors in the 90's it was ALWAYS option 2.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote about  a boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 14 at 9:49am
Thanks guys
Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 14 at 1:33pm
On all the symmetric classes I've sailed (excludes Mirror with a kite), No. 2 has been the favoured approach when using a double-ended pole.

A better method still if you are feeling slick and in control, and not too worried about your foredeck, is to unclip the pole from the mast and leave it dangling by the uphaul/downhaul and guy before gybing the main and jib.  Crew then hands the sheets to the helm and sets about reconnecting the pole on the new side. The advantage of this method is that it would make it easier for the crew to keep the kite flying while the helm gybed the main, so that the kite would never collapse (after much practice!)
GarethT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GarethT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 14 at 9:51am
On our Mirror we had a single ended pole (crew was only 5 when he started!) so option 3 was the only way and worked fine.

The RYA used to have 'Champion Club TV' available on their website, which had boat handling videos for all the junior pathway classes. Not sure if it's till there though.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote about  a boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 14 at 9:43am

Hi,

A little advice required.

I have a Mirror with an end to end pole set up on the spinny. So what is the best way for the crew to gybe this? As I see it my three options are:

1)      Gybe the pole  before the main the man and jib

2)      Gybe the pole AFTER the main and jib

3)      Put the pole away, gybe and then reset the pole.

After a little research option one seems OK in light winds. Option two is better in stronger winds as you can control the gybing of the main and jib better. Option three, not sure why one would do this.

Or is there just one method that would suit the Mirror and be done with that?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Rich

Post Reply Post Reply