FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dart 18 vs Hobie 16

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
shadeux View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote shadeux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 14 at 5:28pm
Have you tried www.dart18.com ? You'll find lots of helpful info there.
Good luck
Bruce
Shadow002
Wee Man View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wee Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 14 at 5:58pm

Have great fun with it, plenty out there to play with & get tips from.

Hobie Tiger F18, E Boat Eufo, 420 Great Scot, Miracle 390
Owenfackrell View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Owenfackrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 14 at 6:16pm
As above. Have great fun on it. If you have only sailed monos before this then be aware that the rig will be slack and that they are much harder to tack, you need to be smooth with the rudder.
ASok View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote ASok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 14 at 10:44am
Congrats. Good choice.

My tips would be to join the class association and use their resources. The website (dart18.com) has a few articles that explain technique very well. The class training weekend is well worth a look as well if you fancy a bit of coaching. I only attended my first after a few years of sailing the Dart and learned loads from basic rigging right up to racing them. I can recommend that weekend regardless of whether you are planning to race it or not.

My top tips would be - smooth on the helm, especially through tacks, keep to fore and aft trim level (don't hang off the back), don't fly a hull - fast is with the windward hull just about the water and don't let anyone assist moving the boat by dragging it by the toe loops - they can and probably will pull out of the rivet and are a pig to refit!

What sail number is it?
bicrider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bicrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 14 at 1:05pm
Thanks everyone sail no. is 5054 come from worthing sailing club the guy said he had it a couple of season think he said he bought it from Essex or Suffolk way.but she looks in great condition Its a  special edotion "technical" i think off the top of my head.no damage on the skegs or spongelike hulls really happy hope to get out this weekend. if anyone has any history on 5054 i like to know Big smile 
ASok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ASok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 14 at 2:11pm
Enjoy. I don't know much about that era of boat unfortunately. There are plenty in the class that will help you with that. Stick a posting on the class forum.

Do you have insurance? If not, try WH Insurance for a quote. David races in the class and does a reasonable rate for them. He's also a fountain of Dart 18 knowledge!

Have a good weekend. Luckily its a short week eh?
bicrider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bicrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 14 at 3:07pm
Todays job is sort the insurance out will try WH insurance looks a good price from the quick quote!!

yeah cant wait weather looks not to bad tides are right looking good happy days down side trapeze harness no longer fits me but my crew can still just squeeze in it 

Dart 18 5054 "Willy Flipit"
Finn K333
Yellow (faded) Pico "Willy Tipit"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12