FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Crap Day.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crap Day.
    Posted: 06 May 14 at 12:40pm
Lord Birkett?

There will be Northerners there, probably with warm beer, Ferrets in their trousers sailing GP14's and definitely Black Pudding for breakfast, why would you? And you can't understand a word anyone says..(how they sail in those clogs is beyond me..)

Who was Lord Birkett anyway, probably one of King John's robber barons?
AlexM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AlexM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 14 at 12:51pm
http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/tests/YachtsandYachting50Regattas_Top10.pdf

I'm hoping to do it this year (first time)
fleaberto View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote fleaberto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 14 at 1:03pm
Birkett? ... I'm already in ....almost the first thing in my diary every year now. Unbelivably I did consider "Birkett or Tour De France in t'Yorkshire?" ... Birkett wins out every time
Lightning368 'All the Gear' (409), Lightning368 'Sprite' (101), Laser (big number) 'Yellow Jack', RS Vareo (432)'The Golden Rays'
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 14 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by fleaberto

Birkett? ... I'm already in   

Are you taking the EPS Lee?
kneewrecker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 14 at 4:11pm
Heads Up.... it's going to be blown off at Hythe on Sunday.... expect 'Crap Day' update monday morning.
fleaberto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fleaberto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 14 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by iGRF

Originally posted by fleaberto

Birkett? ... I'm already in   

Are you taking the EPS Lee?

Yeah, that's the plan. Already entered in it - though if the forecast blows up I might change down to the Lightning
Lightning368 'All the Gear' (409), Lightning368 'Sprite' (101), Laser (big number) 'Yellow Jack', RS Vareo (432)'The Golden Rays'
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 14 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by kneewrecker

Heads Up.... it's going to be blown off at Hythe on Sunday.... expect 'Crap Day' update monday morning.

Yep already breaking out the short board ready, think it's low tide as well.. We were blown off last night as well, High Tide Force 6, we've missed a lot this year and the Lake was blown off on Wednesday, I'm beginning to question my choice of pastimes..
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 14 at 9:57am
Originally posted by kneewrecker

You know what? It needn't have been, the wind went west so the sea wasn't exactly huge, but because of the forecast no-one really showed, that and the fact the day before's big gusts had blown the spinner clean off the club anemometer, so another crap sailing week (for sailing dinghies and three more lost days) Lets hope things improve this week.
kneewrecker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 14 at 2:09pm
yep the dreaded windguru effect....  it's a first world problem: instead of groups of would-be racing sailors braving it without rescue cover to 'go out for burn-up', then rampaging around the town of Paignton in various states of inebriation, the 21st Century is so technologically advanced, that young men  with a pass away from home, get the 'windguru call' and find out their long-awaiting weekend away has been canned...

One of my best results in an RS100 race was when hardly anyone else showed up as the forecast was nuclear.... so bad I only packed the girly sail.  Bad mistake.... we weren't even planing by the afternoon and I was toast.  

Edited by kneewrecker - 12 May 14 at 2:10pm
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 14 at 10:01am
Back on the sea last night and crew less, it was a perfect sunny evening low water 6-8 mph when I got there, then the wind knotched up, to 6-8 kts, then 10-12kts then 13-14kts average at which point I though damn, I'd better break out the smaller sail, 1st time on the sea single handed and all.
Big mistake, as usual, gun goes wind drops then the slow realisation that even in its newness an 8.4 isn't holding or pointing anything like a laser and by the time the top reach arrives out to sea the wind is less (our coast has a thermal accelerated band close in and 200 yards out you're left with the residual gradient wind which was still the 6-8 knots my man in his Laser cruised by underneath me, I am going mental.

The one area the jolly old EPS normally has an advantage over the standard Laser on fresh water is down wind, not tonight , by the the first gybe virtually the entire mackerel fleet had had it's evil way with me, by the bottom mark I'd been violated, by everyone except my chum and fellow lightweight who'd switched to his radial and was part of the decision making process that had condemned me to another 40 minutes of wrong sail hell and just as I was thinking it couldn't get any worse the tide switched on and I kissed the top mark. (didn't even use my tongue). Howls from my Phantom friend who'd gone too far inshore and missed a shift so I'm now spinning as well.

The two main Laser men are gone and I'm left battling it out with the 'old people' both of whom are in front of me and cruising, leaving wide berths round marks over standing left and right, funny you only seem to notice the pain when you're behind, although it had dropped it was still necessary to do that hiking nonsense which is ten times more painful on the sea, especially when the tide turns the course one sided.

Long, painful, (I'm not even going to go into the cramp that sets in)story cut short I did eventually manage to overhaul the Phantom and the Laser of my work colleague both of whom have no place occupying the same leg of the course since they've done no practise all year and I've raced almost continuously all winter. Two tail ender 500's I also kept at bay, but the Contender, two lasers and the Hornet were long gone, I did come close to my Lake protagonist until the lapping Contender forced me to wrong tack out to sea in a forlorn hope rather than be buried, the end result was just as inevitable dropping further back, why do we do it, even though we know it's wrong, the tack is hopeless, why do we still take it?

Whatever as crap a race as it was, I enjoyed the night and realise I've got to toughen myself up, all this lake sailing is making me a softie..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>