FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Technique tips for Trimming my Hobie 16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
windnwater View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote windnwater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Technique tips for Trimming my Hobie 16
    Posted: 12 Mar 14 at 3:55pm
I sail a hobie 16 coastally but get overtaken constantly by seemingly better trimmed boats. We're not racing as such just freesailing. I feel like I have a very bouncy ride the whole time even in small chop :( I'm pretty novice but can sail well it's just reaching!

Anyone help with boat setup or my error in technique?
craiggo View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 14 at 8:26pm
Its difficult to say without seeing pictures, but I suspect a) you're to far back in the boat and b) you are probably pinching too much in the small gusts. You need to be very sensitive on the helm and try to keep the boat moving smoothly even if that means letting the hull lift a bit.
If you let the sails stall out the rather floppy rig on the 16 can really shake around and it has a tendancy to wash off boat speed, so keep enough power in the rig to keep it loaded.
ASok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ASok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 14 at 12:20pm
That's the first mistake I made when I moved into cats. Weight too far back and pinching the whole time. Sailing it free will pay off also make sure the fore and aft trim is level. You can be pretty far forward, so need to hang off the rear beam - especially when going up wind
jaydub View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote jaydub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 14 at 12:58pm
Keep the leeward hull pressed in to the water as much as possible. Much better to sail a bit freer to achieve this as the hull bites into the water and reduces the leeway.

Sail downwind with the tell tales streaming at 90 degrees.

Weight as far forward as you can get in light airs.  Windward hull just skimming the water when there's sufficient wind.  Keep the leeward hull from digging in when it's windy otherwise you are in pitchpole territory.
windnwater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote windnwater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 14 at 10:33am
Hey Guys,

Thank you for the replies.

I'm pretty sure I am too far back then reading your comments. When reaching I am back as far as possible, mainly whimping about pitch poling!

I'll make sure I go further forward next time i'm out.

Thanks!
catmandoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote catmandoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 14 at 7:31pm
Cant understand why folks ask monohull dominated forums how to sail cats or even forget your best resource       google it !        10 secs of research found me :http://www.hobieclass.com/site/hobie/ihca/downloads/tuning/tuning/tuning_16.pdf

Hobie 16 sailing is peculiar to them as they are soooooo different to any other cat in most respects , advice above from ex world champ , must be worth a read  Wink
ASok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ASok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 14 at 9:52am
Way to put off a new poster.
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 14 at 8:56pm
It has always amazed me how some die hard Cat sailors see themselves as doing something totally different to the rest of us!
In the main, sailing is sailing. The techniques are much of a muchness regardless of what you sail.
As for the Hobie 16 being so different from other cats, having sailed one a few times, I wouldn't say its particularly different to any other 16ft catamaran, sure it has a few nuances, but then thats no difference to a Laser and an RS300.

The point about checking the class association is however totally valid.
catmandoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote catmandoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 14 at 10:29pm
Having sailed and raced dinghies and cats from the age of nine , over 42 years !!! Im afraid to say my view is a tad biased to my experience , , hopefully the poster took my advice as intended, and got something usefull out of it and was not put off seeking help 

Its a shame theres no uk cat forum .

Yes theres plenty of crossover between all aspects of sailing , one thing that suprised me was the similarity in some respects between cat racing and keelboat racing , in that racing tornadoes i would ask my crew to go down and check setting of jib , i would helm and trap as the heavier of us , in old single trap days , not something i would suggest in a hobie sixteen :) 

Apologies t' all 

Should all be sailing agin soon 

Ps you may not appreciate how diverse my sailing experience has been and still is , die hard cat sailor , nope ........ Die hard sailor , yup :) 

Edited by catmandoo - 17 Mar 14 at 10:31pm
 Post Reply Post Reply