FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Defeat at the hands of Europe!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
DaveT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote DaveT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 14 at 6:36pm
Europes are one of the best balanced and responsive boats I've set foot in, if you are tiny enough for one get one
Roger View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 14 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by winging it

Wraysbury also looks like open water right now.

I can vouch for Shearwater being very interesting.

I agree.....
Its been decades since I last went to Shearwater but the memories still remain, certainly very interesting.

and we've probably got the largest stretch of inland water in the UK right now, here in Somerset.

Cameron Winton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cameron Winton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 14 at 8:25pm
Would love a Europe (5' 6" tall) but everything at our club is a laser or RS300
Peaky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 14 at 8:40pm
The Europe class chairman is a good 6ft tall, maybe more. You can get a lot of boat for your money by the looks of it.
laser4000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 14 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by iGRF

That is Redoubt lake, probably the single best training tool any aspiring sea sailor can have on his doorstep.

I thought it was and I believer the europe sailor in question has not only years worth of local knowledge from her 'yoof' and was really a rather talented topper sailor back in her day, far before squads and getting 'girls into sailing' / 'building the pyramid' were terms the RYA could spell let alone think about building programmes to address.

iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 14 at 9:37pm
Yes it's all quite levelling, speaking to her mum as she helped me pull my boat up the bank, it's quite a family, a female Topper sailing dynasty, including Mums, Aunties and daughters and me in the sure and certain knowledge that each and every one of them would cane me badly, - so much to learn, so little time
rogerd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 14 at 7:23am
Trouble is G when you learn skills at an early age it becomes instinctive. Unfortunately you and I have to work hard at it.
Blue One View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blue One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 14 at 10:15am
Learnt to sail in my late twenties, was useless. Have been trying hard to improve my skills for over twenty years. Am still only slightly less useless. Embarrassed

iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 14 at 10:46am
So, I wonder if there is anyone at the top level, that didn't start straight out of the womb..

Everyone at that FOM had sailed since childhood, doesn't bode well for Adult newbies does it?

I kid myself with all the race tactical stuff I still have locked away, that I could if I really put my mind to it ,get up to speed, but the truth is, without that boat speed from sailing stance and auto helm that one builds from years of practise, it's never going to happen. That Boat had a 7 mtr sail, it was barely a 3, maybe the odd puff of 12-13 mph no more and mostly 8-10 mph and she was gone, sailing higher faster off the line and upwind, then downhill, mostly dead runs with the occasional short reach, she didn't lose a boat length, just pulled inexorably away, like Dan up at the FOM.

The annoying thing, I know exactly what it is and what it takes, it's just frustrating knowing I'm never going to get it, not in this lifetime...
yellowwelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowwelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 14 at 11:10am
Yep- time to quit and take up bowls.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>