FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

dart 16

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
bicrider View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote bicrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dart 16
    Posted: 14 Jan 14 at 3:12pm

Not Sure if anybody will be able to help at all but have been looking for a dart 18 for a while now and not had one come up locally with a road trailer for the right price but a dart 16 has
i am 110kg with a crew of similar weight (but he not reliable) so will be single handing sometimes. we have very short steep wave most of the time thats why i like the idea of the dart 18 

Chris 

RichTea View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote RichTea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 14 at 6:13pm
Where are you located? Check out the Class website.

The 16 is plastic and the bow shape is totally different, so if you are looking for an 18, put a wanted advert up, you may find someone will be looking to sell come march/April time but may sell early if they know someone is looking to buy.

RS200
stewart smith View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote stewart smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 14 at 6:38pm
Try before you buy. Both boats will sail single handed. The 18 is lighter and faster. The 16 is stronger and will take a spinnaker. Both boats have their faults. In most clubs there will be someone who will lend you a cat trailor. At 110 kgs, you would only want a light crew, if any!
Stewart Smith
alstorer View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 14 at 7:01am
A 16 will very much wallow with two 110kg sailors. An 18 won't exactly be nippy. Both will fly with just you!

If you're seriously considering a 16, also look at the (many) other 16ft plastic cats- there's a Topaz one, an RS one, multiple Hobies and many other French ones.
-_
Al
bicrider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bicrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 14 at 7:40am
Thanks guys I am down at rye harbour( between brighton and dover) there are a quite a few dart 16 at hastings and bexhill but i believe this is because they beach launch on a shingle beach there where at rye we launch in to a river b4 a half mile sail to the sea.I have crewed on a dart 18 b4 a long time ago and really enjoyed as my other ride at the time international 14 where we seamed to spend more time on our side than up right!! I have looked at some other of the plastic cats but most of them are over my price.
shadeux View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote shadeux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 14 at 9:42am
I know it's a bit further but there are a few Dart 16s at Eastbourne. I know a couple of cat sailors there and they might be able to arrange a test drive to help you make up your mind. There are also Darts at Worthing but, further still. This link will take you to the UK Dart 18 website where you will also find the Dart 16 pages. Good luck.
http://www.dart18.com/
Bruce
Shadow002
bicrider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bicrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 14 at 10:34am
thanks for the link  shadeux having been over the bexhill sc in the summer and watched them beach the d16's i can why there are a lot of them there i was really surprised how hard they come in to the beach did see one or two 18's in the dinghy park but know where near as many think  
ASok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ASok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 14 at 11:45am
Have a search down at Worthing. They have a really decent cat fleet and aren't too far from you. Might have something?

Email the admin at Netley SC. I'm sure I saw that there were a few boats to sail over there and could put you in touch with their cat fleet captain.

I really dislike the Dart 18. Even singlehanded its not a patch on the Dart 18 and I don't think the spinny makes up for its shortcomings. That said, its bullet proof and would be a preference if you are looking to beach it when coming ashore. I'd really discourage doing that in a Dart 18 unless you are good at repairs.

My old dart 18 originally came from Eastbourne and was in great condition, so can't all be bad down that part of the coast.

Good luck with the search.
bicrider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bicrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 14 at 12:24pm
hi asok
thanks for the info will have a look at netley sc.
No nasty beach for us at rye we go a concret slip in to a nice flat river.
I am taking it you dislike the 16 not the 18.
any real reason why u dont like the 16?
I was taking to a topper sales man at ali pli show last year about the dart 16 he said they flex alot (but he was trying to sell me a topaz(way out of my price range)

shadeux View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote shadeux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 14 at 2:27pm
I used to have a Dart 16 and they are fine for what they are. They are very tough, but easy to sail and a lot of fun. Do they flex a lot? Yes they do flex a bit but I'm not sure they are significantly worse than the Topaz (same designer) although I've never sailed one. The Dart 18 is a completely different proposition and the choice probably rests on what you want to do with your cat. If racing is your thing then go for the D18 but if you just want to cruise around and maybe race a little then perhaps the D16 is a better choice. Have you considered the Sprint 15? Either way, you should be able to find yourself a good buy.
Bruce
Shadow002
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>