FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Seascape 18

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
laser193713 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seascape 18
    Posted: 19 Dec 13 at 4:37pm
I don't think you understand do you? It's not all about speed, having a boat that the kids can jump around down below in and that you can ramp launch and recover in 20 mins flat is more important for some people. The K6 is alright, but if I wanted to go faster for 20 grand I would buy an Open 7.50. 
ifoxwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ifoxwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 13 at 4:41pm
That is exactly it.

Something that my 5 year old will feel safe on and enjoy and yet still fun for me and my wife

Ian

RS300
Oli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 13 at 5:18pm
And i didnt suggest it was, and if it took more than 5 mins to launch or recover the k6 i would never have got one.  As for taking the kids out there is plenty of space to do that.  If i had full and permanent crew i would also have considered an open 7.5, just offering an alternative.  Wink
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 13 at 10:16pm
Agree it isn't about speed, but it is nice to know where something fits in the great scheme of things.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
rb_stretch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rb_stretch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 13 at 11:14pm
I considered the same boats (Seascape and K6) and ended up getting both a used Jeanneau Sun 2000 and a used Albacore for less money than either. Decided that at that small size, a cruiser-racer doesn't really work.

I had a Hunter 707 many years ago and being that little bit bigger made it more suitable for dual role. The Elan 210 also looks like it would work very well, but quite pricey.

Edited by rb_stretch - 19 Dec 13 at 11:15pm
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 13 at 12:26am
We had a couple of guys looking at the seascape a year ago to replace their Sun 2500 as they wanted something a bit racier. Interestingly the main interested party eventually bought an Impala having been part of the winning crew in the 2012 seascape 18 nationals. His other choices were the J70 and the B21 which he concluded were too expensive, and the seascape just a bit too impractical. The Impala gives good racing and is a very practical boat.
rb_stretch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rb_stretch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 13 at 10:23am
I do think modern boatbuilders are missing this gap of boats that you can race, but can also use for other purposes. The seascape are clearly suggesting it in their marketing, but the reality is that the boat is just too small to serve the weekender purpose in the UK (different story in the med, where you can guarantee being outside almost the entire time..

I believe that Beneteau have sold thousands of the 210,21.7,20s so clearly the market is there.

ifoxwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ifoxwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 13 at 12:38pm
I think your right and I have been considering the small boats from Beneteau and Jeanneau however they are coming at the sector from the view of a small cruiser.

Seascape seem to be starting from the performance/sailing experience stand point which also means that they end up with something that weighs less than half as much and as such I could tow it behind our car. Not a reason to buy one but another factor to add to the mix.

Ian 
RS300
laser193713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 13 at 2:24pm
The competition

http://www.open570.org/index.php/ 
http://www.mach650.com/ - Slightly smaller but less extreme cousin to the Open 7.50
http://www.elliott-marine.com/e6m.html
http://vxone.org/na/

The great thing about the seascape being that you get 90% the performance in a boat you could happily sail single handed and actually enjoy. It's a good boat and you do seem to fit the niche. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12