FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GPS detection of OCS?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
MerlinMags View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote MerlinMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GPS detection of OCS?
    Posted: 13 Dec 13 at 12:01pm
If you ever proved that GPS did have high enough accuracy, you'd need to make the units high-visibility and make sure they were mounted above decks.

Otherwise some rascal could shift their GPS unit sneakily to the transom, and poke their bow safely over the line.
Time Lord View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Time Lord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 13 at 3:56pm
Much more likely that some geek would find a way to tweak their GPS unit so that it allowed them a boat length or two!!
Merlin Rocket 3609
alstorer View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 13 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by MerlinMags

If you ever proved that GPS did have high enough accuracy, you'd need to make the units high-visibility and make sure they were mounted above decks.
Define "above decks". Rather less common these days to have a space frame arrangement, but with that, arguably "above deck" and "at the mas foot" are the same thing.

However, I reckon some of the GPS problems the cherubs encountered at Queen Mary SC at the inlands might have been down to them tucking them under carbon foredecks. Radio signals don't pass very well through carbon. Carbon planes have to have glass fibre radomes, just like metal ones.
-_
Al
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 13 at 9:19pm
Occurs to me:

If a system is made that is accurate and reliable enough, with Start and Finish definitions altered to suit, then accurately scoring pursuit races could be much easier! For the sake of argument, I'd use proximity to the next mark of the course.
-_
Al
MerlinMags View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote MerlinMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 13 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by alstorer

Define "above decks".

Visible to your competitors, so they know you're not cheating!
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 13 at 1:42am
Originally posted by alstorer

accurately scoring pursuit races could be much easier! For the sake of argument, I'd use proximity to the next mark of the course.

Indeed it would. It would solve the age old problem of working out what order the boats are in on the beats. Proximity to marks is far too crude though, think it has to be some some sort of vmg calc, otherwise you could have boats that are clearly ahead scored behind.
I wonder if they considered using the tracks to aid scoring at Datchet.
Trouble is you really do need DGPS,I've been tracking my canoe recently and the striking how much the boat moves around in all 3 dimensions when tied rigidly to the jetty between races!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123