FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sailing 'life hacks'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
yellowwelly View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowwelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sailing 'life hacks'
    Posted: 29 Nov 13 at 10:23pm
perceived moaning / whinging removed...
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 13 at 10:35pm
I used to prefer a suitable sized hosepipe for shrouds...
I guess electrical shrink tube for covering splices and fishing rod/landing net handles as sources of carbon tube are pretty well documented.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 13 at 11:00pm
Kite bar floats make excellent covers for shrouds.
winging it View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 13 at 7:34am
I used wedge shaped wooden door stops to support the wing bars on my moth.  The cvrda is the natural home of such creativity  Want not, waste not.
the same, but different...

Towergate_Insurance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Towergate_Insurance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 13 at 9:43am
Thanks to winging it and iGRF! Some excellent ingenuity! 
Mark Jardine View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mark Jardine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 13 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by laser193713

No, because that's not why you're here. You're here to advertise your company for free, yes I know you probably pay for the banners but this bit here is free. If you're just doing it for the fun then you've got something to think about because you're being paid to write it and we are paying for you to be paid to write it. How does that make us feel!? If you want to write on here for fun then create an account that isn't in your company name!

Why thank you laser193713

The aim of this thread is to get input from forum members to create an article with knowledge that other sailors could find useful. We (YachtsandYachting.com) are doing this in association with Towergate Insurance.

This could create useful content - something that your post is definitely not. In future, if you ever have any queries about content that you think is suspect on the forum then report it to Magnus and myself using the 'Report post' feature rather than making an assumption yourself Angry

Many thanks to those who are adding useful suggestions Clap

Mark
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 13 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by Mark Jardine

This could create useful content - something that your post is definitely not. In future, if you ever have any queries about content that you think is suspect on the forum then report it to Magnus and myself using the 'Report post' feature rather than making an assumption yourself Angry

Many thanks to those who are adding useful suggestions Clap

Mark

Well said Mark.

As for a sailing hack....

If you have a Laser (or similar that has a 'pot' for the mast step) you can keep it dry by either using a Jug Mop (cost about 70p from many kitchen retail outlets) or by getting a length of dowel or an old batten with a bit of sponge attached to the end.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
Towergate_Insurance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Towergate_Insurance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 13 at 3:43pm
Thank you Mark. 

Thanks also to Jeffers for your suggestion. Getting some great ideas here guys! 

I hope as Mark says, the outcome of this post will be a really useful article for everyone. 

If knowledge is power and sharing is caring then this forum post would be like Mother Theresa in an F1 powerboat!
yellowwelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowwelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 13 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Towergate_Insurance

If knowledge is power and sharing is caring then this forum post would be like Mother Theresa in an F1 powerboat!

jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 13 at 4:17pm
I see she likes that suggestion bless her!
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>