FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

to early to post about the London Boat Show?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
alstorer View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: to early to post about the London Boat Show?
    Posted: 22 Nov 13 at 8:56am
I see they're desperately trying to flog "early bird" tickets. Clearly disgusted by the stench of death hanging around the show, the Bike, Outdoor and "Active travel" shows have edged away to half-term, with a "Cruise holiday" show now sharing the venue.
-_
Al
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 13 at 9:11am
I went as a child, I think, maybe 35 years ago. Are you still allowed to climb over boats you couldn't afford in 3 lifetimes?

We could talk about the Dinghy Show instead? Must be time for Class Associations to be thinking about how to make their (better than all the rest) class stand out from the crowd?
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 13 at 9:29am
I can't believe they split from the Bike and Outdoor lot, both will be the losers, we're not exhibiting at either show, nor are quite a few others.
yellowwelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowwelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 13 at 9:43am
personally I've not enjoyed it since it moved from Earls Court- it could be a just a time of life thing (we had some great post uni piss ups in West London), but the Docklands is so, so uninspiring as place to go socially.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 13 at 9:54am
It's never really been that exciting since it's high point when the IRA blew it up..
rogerd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 13 at 11:33am
Originally posted by iGRF

It's never really been that exciting since it's high point when the IRA blew it up..

poor taste
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 13 at 12:07pm
I can remember going only seven years ago for the first time, and back then both main halls were full (roughly, one sail, one motor), there was a large marina outside that was full and dinghies lining the concourse by the marina.
They're not publishing a floor plan without paying for the showguide, but I'd hazard a guess that this year it'll be less than one hall, with the north hall fully shuttered.
-_
Al
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 13 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by rogerd

Originally posted by iGRF

poor taste

Agreed had anybody been injured but they weren't we had a warning and were leaving when it blew some stink boat to smithereens, it reopened the next day and allegedly nobody on the Guiness stand even noticed.
fab100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fab100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 13 at 10:07am
Originally posted by yellowwelly

personally I've not enjoyed it since it moved from Earls Court- it could be a just a time of life thing (we had some great post uni piss ups in West London), but the Docklands is so, so uninspiring as place to go socially.

This might be the first time I've agreed with Jimbo in months

That Excel shed is totally soulless and the London show is now eclipsed by Southampton
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 13 at 11:56am
there was that attempt at a "rebel" boat show at Earls Court, but that was a dismal failure. And now they're knocking the place down.
-_
Al
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>