FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Weta, fastest boat on the water!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>
Author
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weta, fastest boat on the water!
    Posted: 09 Apr 14 at 2:11pm
Just needs a set of foils
Tom Kirkman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tom Kirkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 14 at 11:02pm

I suppose that part of the fun of sailing is talking about various boats when you’re not actually out sailing.

I happen to own a Weta. I also own the world’s fastest production sailboat (Hobie Trifoiler). It’s never occurred to me to pit one against the other or argue with myself or others about which one is a better boat. They’re different animals and comparisons between them or other boats is neither fair nor really possible. I suppose I could denigrate the Lasers, Radials, Contenders, F18's, A-Cats, etc., etc., by saying that the TriFoiler will easily blow any of them off the water in short order (provided I have at least 8 knots of wind!). But that’s not my game. Every boat has its virtues, in my opinion.

The Weta has never been marketed as the “Fastest Boat On The Water.” At least not by Weta Marine. It has been marketed as “Fast, Fun, Easy” and that’s hard to argue with.  

Fast: This is relative term. For a 14 foot boat, the Weta is indeed fast. 14 to 15 MPH is not hard to do. 17 to 18 is possible in the right conditions. It accelerates in an instant. It certainly “feels” fast.

Fun: Weta sailors generally have big, big smiles on their faces. Is this not the real object of sailing in this day and age - to have fun? If so then this claim is also true.

Easy: Okay, it’s fairly quick and easy to set up. A fit person can easily do it by themselves. It’s relatively easy to sail although it can be capsized a bit easier than some would have you believe if you’re not quick on the mainsheet and tiller in strong winds. I wouldn’t send a kid or a physically challenged person out in the Weta when the wind is much above 15 knots, unless perhaps I have run up the storm main, or removed the jib. But there is a strong argument to be made that it is indeed easy. Again, this is a relative term.

This I know - I have taken out cat sailors, laser sailors, mono hull sailors and a host of others in my Weta. And they all come back with nothing but praise for the Weta. They like it because it's... Fun!

Edited by Tom Kirkman - 08 May 14 at 11:04pm
catmandoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote catmandoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 14 at 11:28am
There we have it 

Weta a fun boat , op change title of thread and all happy .

ps is your trifoiler faster than a production foiling moth ?????  Wink

or a production flying phantom cat  Wink Wink Wink

Edited by catmandoo - 09 May 14 at 11:52am

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tom Kirkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 14 at 12:35pm
Unless a foiling moth can top 40+ MPH then it's not even close. I have no idea how fast the Moth or the Foiling Cat can run, but I doubt either would be anywhere near as fast as the Trifoiler (although they might be just as fun!). Last time out I had mine at 38.2 MPH top speed for the day.

The TriFoiler Longshot, the original model, still holds the Class A world record at around 51 or 52 MPH. And the TriFoiler is highly maneuverable whereas something like the Vestas Sail Rocket is on perpetual port tack.

Edited by Tom Kirkman - 09 May 14 at 12:37pm
catmandoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote catmandoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 14 at 12:48pm
that is rapid , good stuff , fast boat in fast boat thread , or should I say fun  Wacko

moths n phantoms a way off that so far 

wonder which quicker round a race course , but not the point .

was thinking of a tupperware thing called a foiler with funny outrigged boards , apologies  Ouch
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 14 at 12:53pm
Longshot did just crack the 50mph (50.12), which was an astounding speed for a boat that could sail on both tacks. Astounding speed full stop, actually.

But then it was designed for the purpose of records, not of winning races, like the Moth, where early foiling and the ability to sail fast on all points of sailing are more important than top speed on a perfect reach.

Different creatures, and I as I have sailed neither, I cannot comment on which is more "fun". Depends on how you get your kicks, really. For some, a Weta, or even a Foxer dinghy will be more fun than either.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tom Kirkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 14 at 2:31pm
The TriFoiler will turn on a dime and because the apparent wind is always forward, it really doesn't suffer on any particular point of sail. Under lighter wind conditions it is better and faster to jibe full around than to tack, as it's possible to come off the foils. Otherwise it's fast on all points of sail. It's not a one trick pony by any means.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXSgZCDVWOM

With the ama fairings that Dan Ketterman made me, and which I think they offered as an option at the time, the TriFoiler will foil in about 8 MPH winds. 10 to 12 is a sure thing.

At one of the local club small lake regattas, the commodore asked me how long it would take to bring the Trifoiler around the course one time. I said, "On the foils, about 45 seconds. Off the foils, about 30 minutes."

It is terribly fun, but launching and retrieving it can be a pain in the rear sometimes and thus I don't find myself using it nearly as much as the Weta and some of my other boats. Foiling boats, some of them anyway, suffer a bit in the practicality department.
Pewit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pewit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 14 at 1:37pm
Thought you'd like to know that Weta number 1000 has just been shipped.

Not bad for a boat conceived in a garage in New Zealand in 2004,  made in China and now sold worldwide.

Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 14 at 1:50pm
A great landmark for any boat. And how many actually start at 1 and do all the numbers through to 1000 any more?

At 20 secs, you see the Weta overtake an Oppie - so proving the thread title!
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Pewit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pewit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 14 at 9:39am

I'm just back from a 3-week road trip from Sydney to the Gold Coast with my Weta that finished early as my partner had an accident when we were staying at Brunswick Heads. So we never quite made it but I did have some interesting sailing along the way:

• At Port Stephens where I joined the locals in the Wednesday afternoon race.
  • At Trial Bay where another Weta sailor joined me and we sailed to Smokey Cape Lighthouse and back.
  • At Brunswick Heads where you had to pick your moment to avoid the waves breaking over the bar at the river entrance -  but it was fun surfing on them on the way back from Byron Bay.
  • But perhaps the best was at Ballina where there were Dolphins in the Richmond River on the way out and Whales breaching offshore once I was out on the ocean.

This is winter sailing in Australia BTW. Wish you were here?

Living in Sydney city centre, we don't own a car and use the GoGet share cars if we need one - but they don't have tow bars. So our tow car for the trip was a 5-year old Lexus RX350 4x4 with every extra from Drivemycarrentals.com.au which we rented for $49/day for 3 weeks (min 1 week) that came fitted with a tow bar. Use the Advanced Search to find cars with tow bars here http://www.drivemycarrentals.com.au/search

The Weta proved an ideal touring boat - it takes up little room on the trailer, it only weighs 100Kg and can be launched from a beach or ramp single handed in 30 mins.

And you don't have to worry about a rescue boat since it can be easily righted if it does go over (I didn't  - but I did have a "moment" in the waves).

Weta #325

Sydney

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>