FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mirror project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mirror project
    Posted: 27 Sep 13 at 11:51am
Originally posted by about a boat

Problem is only some of the paint is flaking. Therefore would it be be best to remove the loose stuff and sand the rest, prime the bare wood and then paint?

IF sanding the varnished areas I assume you would not need to be too aggressive around the taped seams otherwise the tape will dissappear.

Yep. pretty much for whatever my opinion is worth. Remember the glass is the only bonding on that boat, so you must remove *none* of it. There is no useful strength in the wood to wood butt joints.
about a boat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote about  a boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 13 at 11:20am
Thanks,

OK heat gun is out. Never considerred chemicals - too messy.

Problem is only some of the paint is flaking. Therefore would it be be best to remove the loose stuff and sand the rest, prime the bare wood and then paint?
IF sanding the varnished areas I assume you would not need to be too aggressive around the taped seams otherwise the tape will dissappear.

Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 13 at 11:18am
If not epoxy (which it is unlikely to be) then the seams will have been done with polyester resin, the stuff used in building most GRP boats. This is an excellent plastic for holding glass strands in, but not such a good glue to stick to wood. However, 10's of thousands of Mirrors were built this way, and the vast majority have been fine for a long, long time.

I've used hot air guns round taped seams. So long as you are careful, and don't keep the heat in one place, generally the only seams to lift are the dodgy ones anyway. However, Jim's advice on sanding back if you can is excellent. Just remember to wear something to keep the dust out of your lungs...
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 13 at 9:35am
If the paint is still adhering properly to the wood don't strip it off, just sand it back aggressively. Saves a lot of work and its the paint makers recommended technique. If you try stripping all the paint you'll inevitably lose a significant amount of wood. Sand back to the original undercoat (roughly speaking). I wouldn't let a heat gun anywhere within feet of taped seams and chemical paint strippers are horrible and expensive and don't do the wood much good. Obviously sometimes you have no choice, but if you can avoid it do.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote about  a boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 13 at 9:25am
OK. Was not preparing to go that far. Looking at the number on the hull it is either a late 70's or a late 80's Mirror. Hard to tell as the second digit has a hole drilled through it to shakle on the main sheet block and could be either a zero or an eight!

The tape looks good. No milky white tap anywhere. I just thought of revarnishing the top sides as some water got under the varish last winter but no damage done and do the flaking paint on the hull. I did not intend for it become a major job.

So it the tape has not been stuck with epoxy what would have been used and would the heat from a heat gun damage it?

Sorry of daft questions but have not renovated a boat before.

Thanks

Edited by about a boat - 27 Sep 13 at 9:28am
Lukepiewalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lukepiewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 13 at 6:18pm
If you are taking it back to bare wood you might consider retaping and gluing. If the mirror is that old it might not even be epoxy...
Ex-Finn GBR533 "Pie Hard"
Ex-National 12 3253 "Seawitch"
Ex-National 12 2961 "Curved Air"
Ex-Mirror 59096 "Voodoo Chile"
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote about  a boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 13 at 3:19pm
I have an old Mirror. The paint on the hull can do with stripping back to the wood and while I am at it I might as well do the deck & interior too. What is the best method to strip it back? I would think a heat gun but would this weaken the tape and epoxy? Also I know you can get some sort of substance to put on dicoloured/rotted wood and treats it. Forgot what it is called. Any ideas and help would be great.
Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply