FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tacktick repairs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Greavesie View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Greavesie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tacktick repairs
    Posted: 12 Jul 13 at 7:44pm
I recently dropped my Tacktick and cracked the display, when trying to find a repair agent to buy some spares from I was suprised to hear from the importer that they are not repairable and no spares are availiable so I need to give them £200 for a replacement.
As I run an electronics repair shop I thought I would take it apart and surprise surprise it looks very repairable to me. I have a replacement display and will try to fit it but this got me thinking.
I hate this attitude from manufacturers, in our company we try to repair all our products even those made in the 90's so I would like to have a go at repairing a few Tacktick's. If you have one that has stopped working please get in touch. Like most of these devices I suspect they just need a new battery and re-program but until I have actually fixed a few I will not know.

Oatsandbeans View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oatsandbeans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 13 at 10:13pm
Good on you-I agree 100%. This attitude is everywhere, we need to fight it! Why chuck stuff away when it can be fixed? 
andymck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote andymck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 13 at 10:18pm
I can send you one for a new battery.
There was a company in NZ doing it.

Andy
Andy Mck
Greavesie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Greavesie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 13 at 7:19am
That didn't take long to get a reply looks like there are other sailors out there thinking the same way!
I would be really interested to have a look at your Ticktack.
Send it to me and I will see how I get on. Don't worry about me charging you. If I can fix it I will just ask you for the cost of the battery and postage to send it back if not, well it isn't working anyway!. Send me a text for my address 07963405516.
PeterG View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 13 at 10:11am
http://www.vanaheim.co.nz/compass.htm

This may be worth looking at. It has some useful pics of stripping a TackTick to replace the battery. I had trouble getting an exact match for the battery in the UK, though I managed to get one with the same spec, but slightly different terminals. Not got round to soldering it in yet, but the job doesn't look too difficult.
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
Greavesie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Greavesie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 13 at 12:56pm
Hi Peter
Thanks for the link, they obviously have had the same issue in New Zealand.
I would like the spec of the battery you have found if possible.
I will send you some pictures when I fit it if you like.
There seems to be a real interest in this subject.

Tim
FF15 Sailor
PeterG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 13 at 8:28pm
Hi Tim,

The battery I got was: Lithium-rech. industrial battery ML2430-HS1 3V 100mAh - Unit - it's almost the same as the one specified by the NZ site (and I think the one in the TackTick). The original battery in mine is also an ML2340, but made by Sanyo instead of FDK, and the new one has a pair of +ve pins instead of a single one. When I get round to fitting it, I'm planning to cut off one pin and use the other, as far as I can see it will fit fine like that. I got the battery from AllBatteries.co.uk. The batteries with the original pin spec seemed only to be available in the UK in industrial quantities, by special order!

Any pics would be very welcome, once you've done it.

Edited by PeterG - 14 Jul 13 at 8:29pm
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
Mark300 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mark300 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 13 at 8:48am
I replaced the battery in my TackTick Micro earlier this year. I couldn't find an exact replacement battery anywhere in the UK and ended up sourcing the battery from batteryBob.com in the US. But delivery was still only a couple of days.

In replacing the battery, I couldn't find the jumper referenced in the instructions on the NZ website, a photo would be useful if anyone who is savvy in electronics is doing a replacement.
PeterG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 13 at 12:51pm
No, mine doesn't have the jumper either.
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
Greavesie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Greavesie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 13 at 6:05pm
Peter and Mark
Did your Tackticks work ok after the battery change?
The post from New Zealand talks about selecting a special code in a program menu,
Did you have to follow their guide? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>