FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dinghy popularity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 38>
Author
yellowwelly View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowwelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 13 at 3:18pm
Maybe it's because the UK is cold, weather is crap and we have replaced leisure pursuits with shopping centres, MSN messenger and playstation?

Oh well, at least the changing rooms and club car parks are less busy these days.  
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 13 at 3:55pm
We have 41 children booked in to do Junior Group at Whitefriars tomorrow, ranging in age from 8 to 16. Some of the older ones have been coming along for 8 years (or more, if they tagged along with older siblings), thinking about it. I suspect the car park and changing rooms will be very busy indeed. Our cut-off is 40, but one crept in un-noticed!
And the juniors are a mix of 2nd generation to be at Juniors, kids of people who learned elsewhere and newcomers. Not sure sailing is really about to expire as a pass time - I guess we just have to accept that people have greater choice these days about how to spend their time.
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Leader, Topper 44496, yellow Minisail
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 13 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by transient

..bit confused on his views on jib sag though, the ability to move the centre of draft seems seems handy to me

I was using my own crap jib for ironical effect.. Under no circumstances should you allow that lead wire up the front to sag, it is the cutting edge 'entry of the boat and your passage upwind, it should be as tight as yellow wellys wallet is shut at an FOM, the other stuff you may or may not want the jib to do, I know for a fact, should be controlled in other ways, (maybe even that jib cunnigham thing) my jib has a three point take off on a clew batten, top one for tight leech bottom one for loose leech, draft position I would have thought other than outhaul and sheeting is pretty much cut into the sail shape, even full batten jibs don't have adjustable or tapered battens to my knowledge.

Then again there are great big holes in my 'knowledge' barber hauler shaped holes for starters, I've really no idea what they do other than haul an errant hairdresser into the road for a kicking after a particularly bad hair cut, something very unlikely to ever occur to me again.

Edited by iGRF - 05 Jul 13 at 4:29pm
fab100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fab100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 13 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by iGRF

draft position I would have thought other than outhaul and sheeting is pretty much cut into the sail shape, even full batten jibs don't have adjustable or tapered battens to my knowledge.

Well we (sort of) got you there in the end, after how many pages? Tightening or easing the cloth (over the wire) with a jib cunningham indeed moves the draft point in the jib forwards and backwards and surprise, that is what it is for.
gordon1277 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon1277 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 13 at 4:41pm
I had a 505 jib where the wire had stretched or sail had shrunk which made the entry very flat, impossible to read and the boat would not point at all.
Eased the tension bit of string and hay presto pointing off the line was possible.
Gordon
Lossc
hum3 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote hum3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 13 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by gordon1277

I had a 505 jib where the wire had stretched or sail had shrunk which made the entry very flat, impossible to read and the boat would not point at all.
Eased the tension bit of string and hay presto pointing off the line was possible.

It's the first thing after pulling up a new RS200 jib - untie the tack, and reset...
RS400atC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 13 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by hum3

It's the first thing after pulling up a new RS200 jib - untie the tack, and reset...

to another almost equally arbitrary position.
Hence it would be nice to be able to set it up while actually sailing.

hum3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hum3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 13 at 4:52pm
Arbitary maybe, but less arbitary than out the bag! 
(EDIT - this is a SMOD, so you do get a feel for what is about right) 
Not disagreeing with you. You need to be on the water to set it properly.

Edited by hum3 - 05 Jul 13 at 4:53pm
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 13 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by fab100

Well we (sort of) got you there in the end, after how many pages? Tightening or easing the cloth (over the wire) with a jib cunningham indeed moves the draft point in the jib forwards and backwards and surprise, that is what it is for.

No you didn't you're as usual just researching my knowledge base for your next book, do you even sail boats with jibs?
transient View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote transient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 13 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by hum3

Indeed, just bought a new jib and on the first sail I could see it was too tight. All distorted and rucked up just below the tack eye. Went upwind like a turd. It would be nice to have something more accurate though (having sailed boats with jib cunny).

Varying degrees of draft position in this pic (not me I hasten to add):

Edited by transient - 05 Jul 13 at 5:40pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 38>