FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Luffing rights - Proper Course - 2013 rule???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Andymac View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Andymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Luffing rights - Proper Course - 2013 rule???
    Posted: 17 Jun 13 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by Brass

The issue wasn't really 'hull' lengths or 'overtaking', but it's not lengths of the larger boat, but lengths of the astern boat.

Thanks for that point Brass, I had always assumed that it was the larger of the two boats (as per zone at a mark). I stand corrected.
Brass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 13 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by Andymac

The issue wasn't really 'hull' lengths or 'overtaking', but it's not lengths of the larger boat, but lengths of the astern boat.

Thanks for that point Brass, I had always assumed that it was the larger of the two boats (as per zone at a mark). I stand corrected.
Mate, that's not right either.

For the zone it's hull lengths of the boat nearer to the mark.

I can't think of any situation that depends on lengths of the larger boat.
andymck View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote andymck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 13 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by Quagers

Originally posted by andymck

As for rule 17, we certainly enforce that rule off the start line, when a boat that has come from behind can not sail above close hauled (after the gun) until she has become clear ahead on the windward boat, unless she tacks behind. TR C4.
TR call D7 would also suggest that you are constrained by rule 17 until you are passed the lay line to the next windward mark, so if you do tack, you go behind.
These are both applicable to team racing and fleet racing. 

I think you have mis understood call D7, it only applies in the case where leeward luffs and does not change tacks, as shown in the picture. If in the same situation leeward was able to complete its tack while giving windward room to keep clear under rule 15 that would be fine and windward would be obliged to avoid.
In addition, on a beat either of the 2 tacks is considered to be a proper course.
< id="adlesse_unifier_magic_element_id" style="display:none;">

That call emphasises that rule 17 is in force until beyond the lay line when it becomes clear which of the two proper courses is the proper course. That then gives you back the opportunity to sail above close hauled. Before that, as we are constrained by rule 17 you are not allowed to luff above close hauled without going behind the windward boat. As described in question two of the same call.

Thus. Going back to the original scenario. At the leeward mark. Having come from behind within two boat lengths to leeward, having not broken the overlap, even though you have two proper courses, you should not luff above close hauled unless you continue and go behind the windward boat.
You either have to get to a clear ahead point or drop two boat lengths to leeward before you can chance your arm at a rule 13/15 tack, as to tack you will have already broken 17.

I take the point that even if the leeward boat does luff, the windward boat still has to try to keep clear, but there seems to be an assumption witnessed at several events that if you are bow out and a bit to leeward you can chance your arm at a tack. Most of the situations would also have been covered by 13/15 which we called them on, but my point is that there was still a rule 17 obligation as well.

Edited by andymck - 17 Jun 13 at 7:32pm
Andy Mck
Andymac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Andymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 13 at 8:36pm

Just read the definition of 'zone' - I should follow my own advice given earlier in this thread!!!
Where the hell did I ever dream that up from? Was there ever such a definition??
Quagers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Quagers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 13 at 10:13am

That call emphasises that rule 17 is in force until beyond the lay line when it becomes clear which of the two proper courses is the proper course. That then gives you back the opportunity to sail above close hauled. Before that, as we are constrained by rule 17 you are not allowed to luff above close hauled without going behind the windward boat. As described in question two of the same call.

Thus. Going back to the original scenario. At the leeward mark. Having come from behind within two boat lengths to leeward, having not broken the overlap, even though you have two proper courses, you should not luff above close hauled unless you continue and go behind the windward boat.
You either have to get to a clear ahead point or drop two boat lengths to leeward before you can chance your arm at a rule 13/15 tack, as to tack you will have already broken 17.

I take the point that even if the leeward boat does luff, the windward boat still has to try to keep clear, but there seems to be an assumption witnessed at several events that if you are bow out and a bit to leeward you can chance your arm at a tack. Most of the situations would also have been covered by 13/15 which we called them on, but my point is that there was still a rule 17 obligation as well.

< id="adlesse_unifier_magic_element_id" style="display:none;">

I think I would like to wait for Brass to weigh in on that because I'm pretty sure you're wrong but I can't quote specifically why. 

The interpretation you describe is certainly not one I have ever seen applied at an event and I have never heard it articulated by a competitor or umpire I've met. So while you may indeed be right and I would be happy to be corrected I am very unsure.

In reality, purely by geometry this isn't a situation which I can imagine occurring often, to have the space to complete the tack without violating R13/15  leeward is likely to be either clear ahead, more than 2 hull lengths to leeward or will pass behind after tacking anyway.

Brass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 13 at 12:22pm

Just read the definition of 'zone' - I should follow my own advice given earlier in this thread!!!
Where the hell did I ever dream that up from? Was there ever such a definition??
Yup, You're not crazy.  Pre 1995 rules rule 38( b ) (equivalent of present rule 17) referred to 'two overall lengths of the longer yacht'.  Changed to 'two of her hull lengths' in rule 17 in th epost 1995 rewrite.
Brass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 13 at 2:03pm

I have seen a few breaks of 17 when going round a leeward mark they have got bow out and about a boat length and a half to leeward, having come from behind, they throw in a tack. Then call starboard. 17 says they have to go behind. Most seem to think it is rule 13 that is in force, even so, probably too close to tack.
At a leeward mark, an advanced outside boat with rule 17 on who throws a tack, in all probability is quite reasonably sailing her proper course: a boat can have more than one proper course, and on a windward leg, either tack is arguably her proper course.
But a leeward boat overlapped outside not more than two hull lengths separated, when tacking is going to have a lot of difficulty complying with rule 13 and rule 15.
So, its 13 and 15, not 17 that will cause her trouble.

Originally posted by Quagers

As for rule 17, we certainly enforce that rule off the start line, when a boat that has come from behind can not sail above close hauled (after the gun) until she has become clear ahead on the windward boat, unless she tacks behind. TR C4.
TR call D7 would also suggest that you are constrained by rule 17 until you are passed the lay line to the next windward mark, so if you do tack, you go behind.
These are both applicable to team racing and fleet racing. 
I think you have mis understood call D7, it only applies in the case where leeward luffs and does not change tacks, as shown in the picture. If in the same situation leeward was able to complete its tack while giving windward room to keep clear under rule 15 that would be fine and windward would be obliged to avoid.
In addition, on a beat either of the 2 tacks is considered to be a proper course.

In my original response to Andymck copied at the head of this post, I said 'a boat can have more than one proper course'.  That was nonsense and I apologise for it.  The better way of saying what I was driving at would be 'There may be more than one course that may reasonably be considered to be a boat's proper course ... and on a windward leg, either tack is arguably her proper course'.

So guys, don't rely on me to get it right.

I tend to think Andymck is on the right track (at least for TR) with TR Calls C4 and D7.

Quagers, I think your take on TR Call D7 that it only applies when the leeward boat does NOT tack misses the principle that the Call points towards, which is that where it is clear that a boat's proper course is to tack she does not break rule 17 by luffing above close hauled, in an attempt to tack.  This is no less valid if she manages to put the  windward boat about then tack herself, rather than bearing away without tacking.

What TR Call C4 is saying about boats coming away from a starting line seems to me to be absolutely analogous to to boats coming away from a leeward mark.

Both TR Calls talk about it being clear (or not clear) which tack is the boat's proper course, and say that only if it is clear that a boat's proper course is to tack does she avoid breaking rule 17 if she luffs above close hauled.

This is OK for for a TR/MR Call (btw, Call D7 is the same for TR and MR), where the umpires must rely on their observations and cannot enter into discussion about why a skipper thinks a course is his or her proper course.

Case 14, however, discusses the determination of proper course, taking the opposite approach.  It refers to 'The facts found do not show that L sailed above her proper course therefore she did not break rule 17.'  In other words, in the absence of binding TR/MR Calls to the contrary, if it is not clear that a boat's course is NOT her proper course, she must be taken to be not breaking rule 17 (apologies for the string of negatives, but that's logic for you).

That said, in a protest hearing, I'd be wanting to hear convincing evidence why a boat thought it was her proper course to tack, and would allow the other boat to bring evidence and argument against, before deciding.  A boat can't just say 'I thought it was the better course' without giving good reasons.

ds797 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ds797 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 13 at 12:47am
So there seems to have been major thread creep!!  All good discussion.... but....

If I'm on a reach between two marks and want to overtake (yes I know the term is not used) a slightly slower boat, if I sail to windward of him does he have a right to luff me, or should he maintain his proper course to the next mark?  If I pass him to leeward can I luff him to help me pass and clear his dirty wind?

That was my original question, although I may have phrased it badly!

Thanks.
Brass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 13 at 1:04am
Originally posted by ds797

So there seems to have been major thread creep!!  All good discussion.... but....

If I'm on a reach between two marks and want to overtake (yes I know the term is not used) a slightly slower boat, if I sail to windward of him does he have a right to luff me, or should he maintain his proper course to the next mark?  If I pass him to leeward can I luff him to help me pass and clear his dirty wind?

That was my original question, although I may have phrased it badly!
And you were given answers to your question in the second and fourth posts in the thread.

Rule 17 is a simple enough rule.  Read it and apply it.
Andymac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Andymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 13 at 2:38am

Yup, You're not crazy.  Pre 1995 rules rule 38( b ) (equivalent of present rule 17) referred to 'two overall lengths of the longer yacht'.  Changed to 'two of her hull lengths' in rule 17 in th epost 1995 rewrite.

Thank goodness for that, I kind of got something right, even if it was 18 years ago!
Me thinks I need a little refresh myself on the rules... the devil is in the detail.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>