FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slow learner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Oatsandbeans View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Oatsandbeans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slow learner
    Posted: 13 May 13 at 10:17am
As some of the others posted- dont give up.

I think that there are 2 distinct types of learning. Those who learn by imitating the instructors- kids predominantly learn like this ( if you have ever seen little kids on the ski slopes with their instructer its all follow my leader style ). This can be very effective at teaching even complex routines. Adults arent so good at this,often they learn by analysing the prolem and trying to understand the key bits to get it to work. It sounds like you are definitely in this camp. Once you have it explained you can practice it and master it. The problem is that if your teacher has learned the skill by the first route he may never be able to break it down in a form that you can use, as he may have no idea of how he does it. That is one reason why teaching sailing can improve your grasp of sailing as you have to be able to analyse in detail all the things that you have doen naturally for years to be able to get it across to the pupil.

winging it View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 13 at 10:19am
If you really want to learn how to sail properly enrol on a dinghy course.  Get a bit of practise, then go back and whip the yotters' asses.

Grumpf, any particularly wrong with same sex marriage, or did you forget the hetracil again.  You know denial isn't good for you.
the same, but different...

pondmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 13 at 10:25am
Originally posted by winging it

You know denial isn't good for you.

he's just pleased that he now knows where to head when he's next in NZ.... those roaming charges on the Grindr app are killing his phone bill.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 13 at 10:38am
Originally posted by winging it

Grumpf, any particularly wrong with same sex marriage, or did you forget the hetracil again.  You know denial isn't good for you.

I wouldn't try to convince my daughter to engage in either, kitesurfing or same sex marriage, both are pointless, the one more dangerous than the other and both more expense than I would wish to countenance.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 13 at 10:40am
On the other hand were she to take up windsurfing, or change her ways and marry one of the opposite sex, convention would cause me to put my hand in my pocket and shell out, and that's about all that concerns me about either option..
Late starter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Late starter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 13 at 11:14am
I think what the OP says about being shouted at probably says more about her instructor than anything else.  Many instructors (at clubs anyway) are volunteers, and while the instructor course  should weed out the worst candidates I've seen some shockingly bad examples end up as DI's or even Senior Instructors in my time. It's a great sport, it does need a bit of persistence sometimes,  but don't lose heart because some to##er of an instructor likes to get shouty, find another instructor/club/training centre !
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 13 at 12:42pm
I'd agree with Late Starter. It's the instructor who's got the problem not you. Find another course with an better instructor, and tell the powers that be why you are leaving the course.
pondmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 13 at 1:04pm
of course you're both right... but, if the NZ sailing scene is anything like that over here, then it can sometimes be a bit of closed shop, conservative and not very accepting to criticism.

The better course of action might be to finish the course, accepting it (and the instructor for his/her limitations) and then go and get some recreational sailing real experience without getting yourself branded, rather unfairly, as a 'trouble maker'.  Sailing's a small community and whilst that has its charms and positive attributes, a newbie 'questioning things' might rub some of the 'old t**ser types' up the wrong way.

But Late Starter and Mr Sparrow are right... it's the instructor with the problem, just don't expect him (or anyone he works with) appreciating you pointing it out.
winging it View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 13 at 6:44pm
and grumpf wonders why I always strive to avoid meeting him.

the same, but different...

Moet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Moet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 13 at 10:41pm
Thanks all for the posts (and some that are so odd I have no idea what you are talking about.  I don't know how same sex marriage got into the equation except that we have jsut made it legal in NZ). I take the point about the trouble maker label and anyway I don't want that role. I think I'll jsut take it easy, ask questions, insist on the 5 minutes instruciton for my assigned position on the day and then see. I do appreciate the support. I am not one to give up on things and I have a dream of being a competent recreational sailor.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>