FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Galaxy Orion?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Galaxy Orion?
    Posted: 18 Mar 13 at 10:50pm
On Apollo Duck there is a boat called a Galaxy Orion for sale. I've never heard of one, does anyone know anything about them? The only photo makes it look a little Wandererish, but with a laminar mainsail and an asymmetric kite.
JohnW View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JohnW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 13 at 12:25am
Our friends at cadaver know what it is:
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 13 at 7:04am
Ooh, they're a clever bunch at CVRDA. I thought the sail looked a bit supernovaish, and the name follows Giles' space theme. Thanks John. It doesn't appear to be in production.
patj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote patj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 13 at 5:36pm
And the info that hasn't yet made it onto the cvrda dinghy database is that it weighs 137kg and has an asymmetric kite with a moveable pole. It has loads of lockers and can have steel bilge keels fitted to enable it to dry out on a mooring and for stability when cruising. So very much a Wayfarer competitor.

Edited by patj - 19 Mar 13 at 5:37pm
cvrda webmistress
Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 13 at 9:05am
As I recall, the Galaxy was an asymmetric Wayfarer competitor.  But a Galaxy Orion is a new one on me.

Mark Giles' Orion was a quite different boat and much more interesting.  Slimmer, more racy hull but with a 45kg bulb on the end of a keel so that it self-righted - it was in fact called the Orion SRD (self-righting dinghy).  An interesting concept for all the ageing dinghy sailors who are simply fed up with capsizing.   Carbon rig (for low c.g.) and 420 kite. I tried it and found it pretty much like a Snipe to sail - nice, actually. It deserved more success.

Post Reply Post Reply