FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oppie, Topper or something else

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
about a boat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote about  a boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oppie, Topper or something else
    Posted: 18 Mar 13 at 2:27pm

Hi,

My eldest wants to start sailing. She has a few "taster" sessions in an Optimist so knows what she needs to do ie pull the sheet to go faster, drop it to slow down, move her weight around and not bump into too many things. The rub is she is seven years old BUT 140cm tall and weighs in at 32KG (just over five stone). Anyone with kids will know she is very tall for her age. for example in wetsuit terms she wears 10-11 year old suits. And she will only get taller and heavier.

So should she go for an Optimist where she would not need to worry about being over powered but can just concerntrate on sailing techniques and then sell it in the next 18 months or a Topper where she will experience being over powered at some point, will be a bit wetter but she can grow into the boat.

Price is not an issue as they cost around the same second hand.

Thanks
SoggyBadger View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote SoggyBadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 13 at 2:43pm
Start her in the Oppie.
Best wishes from deep in the woods

SB

Contender443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 13 at 3:12pm
What about an RS Tera, great little boats. If you get one with both Sport and Pro rigs then she can add the extra power of the pro rig without changing boat. This is an excellent little boat and is growing in popularity all the time.

Alternatively you could get a Topper with a 4.2 mainsail as well as the usual sail.

Ultimately sail what is sailed at your club. and the best boat for your local sailing water.
Bonnie Lass Contender 1764
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote about  a boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 13 at 3:53pm
Optimist, Topper and Teras are sailed! To be honest I think I will go with an Optimist but I will ask at the club too. May be a good idea will be for her to have a go in both and see how confortable she feels with them.
The biggest issue with the Optimist (hence my question) was during her taster days she saw some boys go out in Teras and was full of excitment only for her little face to drop when realaity hit that she would be in a boat that resembled a washing up tub!
robin34024 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote robin34024 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 13 at 4:00pm
I would go for the topper 4.2 rig. she will probably still be overpowered if it gets breezy, but when she grows out of the 4.2, she can move into the 5.3.
Streaker 1837
RS600 638
Cherub 3201
kevg View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote kevg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 13 at 4:56pm
I'm biased towards a Topper 4.2 and then the 5.3 but Optmists certainly have a strong following see:-
Contender443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 13 at 5:36pm
Why not ask her what she thinks is best. I suspect she might go for a Tera, my then 8 year old did.
Bonnie Lass Contender 1764
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 13 at 10:41pm
The Tera is a great boat, and by the sound of it she has already seen them and liked the look. Mainly, though, she should be in what her friends are in, I'd say, as that way she will be having fun.

My daughter, who is 10 now, has had a Puffin for many years, mind, which no one else has one of. She far preferred that to the Oppie, as it had Mirror style tanks to sit on. Now getting into the Topper more, and unlike her brother, isn't a Tera fan. Her Godsister at a different club sails Oppies in a fleet and loves it.

Best thing would be to be at a club with boats the Juniors can use whilst she gets the basics right, then she will be telling you what she'd like from a position of knowledge.
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Leader, Topper 44496, yellow Minisail
pondmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 13 at 7:13am
She needs to speak to the kids who sail all three... buy the one with the group she thinks she is most likely to make friends with.  

The boat is irrelevant at that age.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote about  a boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 13 at 9:13am
Thanks all. I agree with all really. At least I know it will be an Oppi, Topper or tera!. But it will be what she wants rather than what anyone else wants which is key. And the reasoning of her judgement I doubt I will ever figure out!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>