FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Laser fleet scoring

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Ozzie View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Ozzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laser fleet scoring
    Posted: 12 Feb 13 at 2:56pm
We have a "laser fleet" series taking place and I've noticed that the race officer is scoring all boats (full rig and radials) with the same PY. Is that standard practice?

There's nothing in the sailing instructions that covers it and I can't see an appropriate rule either.

Thanks for any information.
Contender443 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 13 at 3:33pm
No that is wrong. Laser rigs, Laser Radial and Laser 4.7 each have a specific PY number. If they are all racing as one fleet then it is a handicap race.

There should be a fleet description and scoring system in the SIs. If not then they are not complete.
Bonnie Lass Contender 1764
Fraggle View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fraggle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 13 at 3:37pm
It all depends on what your club wants.  I've raced a clubs that couldn't asked to adjust and those that make the handicap adjustments.  You may well find that the club in question isn't even timing the racing.  At a past club when I was laser fleet captain I initiated a radial/4.7 prize for a series that wasn't adjusted to give those rigs some incentive.  For races that were handicapped there was only ever an overall prize.

Only way to get the handicap enforced is speak to the relevant people in the club/committee and request it.  Sailors also need to ensure they sign on with the correct rig as not all race officers can tell the difference.
Contender443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 13 at 3:40pm

There should also be a notice of race (NOR) which will specify the fleet breakdown and handicap system used if any.

Bonnie Lass Contender 1764
AlexM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AlexM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 13 at 4:05pm
We have that our club (you could be even talking about it)
The Lasers are racing as a open class and can choose whichever rig they want.
I think this happened because many sailors were swapping there rigs around every week and it was impossible to keep track of who was in what (as suggested above) and applying the correct h'cap etc.
Fraggle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fraggle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 13 at 5:37pm
At my current club we use the rule you can use whatever rig you like but your handicap will always be the fastest rig used.  So if you do 2 races in a radial and 4 in a standard, all six races are handicapped as if you were in a standard.  This allows those that want to change rigs for conditions to do so with the known penalty, and those of us who use only one rig still get handicap allowance.
NickM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 13 at 9:21pm
I suppose you could argue there is a parallel with keelboat one design class racing where you can choose a No1 or No 2 headsail and reef or not depending on how you assess the conditions.
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 13 at 9:39pm
I know that the laser Wessex series run as a single fleet. They then break out the top radial from the results but no handicap used.

Edited by craiggo - 12 Feb 13 at 9:40pm
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 13 at 7:10am
At Hunts we have a Laser fleet. You can use whatever rig you like but you do not get any PY adjustments in the 'fleet' series.

In the Handicap series then you do get your PY and you get multiple sets of results if you switch between rigs.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
deadrock View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote deadrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 13 at 8:18am
At Oxford we have a Laser class fleet with a single Laser start. All other fleets are run on handicap. The Laser results are separated out, with separate series prizes for Laser Std, Radial and 4.7, the intention being to encourage the smaller rigs in class racing.

deadrock
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>