FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Big Ben Quits Olympics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
robinft View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote robinft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big Ben Quits Olympics
    Posted: 18 Dec 12 at 4:14pm
Wink
Laser number 9
Presuming Ed View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Presuming Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 12 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by johnreekie1980

It would be good to see him do some offshore stuff. Winning the Volvo or a solo would be and amazing challenge and would make him even more of a all time great.

Solo - assume you mean solo offshore, IMOCA, Vendee stuff. It's is a completely different skill set entirely. Ben's a driver. You bring him in to drive the boat. Open 60s are driven a lot of the time by the autopilot, and it's all about nav & managing the sailplan to existing conditions. 

Edited by Presuming Ed - 18 Dec 12 at 4:16pm
robinft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote robinft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 12 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by johnreekie1980

It would be good to see him do some offshore stuff. Winning the Volvo or a solo would be and amazing challenge and would make him even more of a all time great.

I think Ben is too big for a Solo.
Laser number 9
johnreekie1980 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote johnreekie1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 12 at 3:23pm
Jon711 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jon711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 12 at 10:23am
Was it not the equally great Sir Steve Redgrave that said "If you see mw in a boat again, you have my permission to shoot me"?

Don't hold your breath, but I for one, would not be surprised, to find that he misses the Olympic circus too much to not have another go.....
Blaze 711
getafix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 12 at 12:54pm
Good luck to BA.  Nothing left to prove.  I'd love to see him tackle another class, but perhaps outside the Olympic circus.
For 2016, we Brits' are incredibly lucky to have more than just a "stand-in" waiting in the wings me thinks.... and not just in this class.  We have strength in depth in a number of classes, Rio may actually deliver more gongs than London, but conditions and time will tell.

In fact, I think that goes for quite a few sports, we may get a post-2012 reaction from the 'old guard' and many of these may try come backs, but the funding and focus pumped in over the last 10yrs will put us in a really good place come 2016 in a wide variety of sports.
pondmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 12 at 9:22am
Originally posted by Jon Emmett

I think the current Olympic classes make it a good decision for him.

exactly- and I doubt I'm the only one who would have loved to have seen the battle between Percy and Ainslie for selection and then the ultimate grudge match in Rio- against Scheidt on his home turf.

Oh well, at least we've got the RS:X to look forward too, again.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 12 at 8:45am
I can see that if the Star was still in it would have been a new challenge, but I have a feeling he will have plenty of challenges ahead if the AC thing gets of the ground.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Jon Emmett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jon Emmett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 12 at 8:35am
I think the current Olympic classes make it a good decision for him.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 12 at 8:30am
Well, we'll see how he feels in 18 month's time. Plenty of folk have retired soon after one games and got keen again when the next one gets closer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>